XXXII. The Spark of Revolution

"More!" Jacques shouted to the parvs behind him as they emptied their containers into the tube. "More gasoline! More, I say!" With a malicious grin, the parv leader watched as the Prime Minister became more and more doused in the deadly liquid. And the best part was he hadn't even noticed yet. This is meant to be! It's a sign!

      The Prime Minister fell to his knees, trying to sweep the attackers from his body. In doing so, he exposed himself to even more gasoline. The plan was working so perfectly that Jacques couldn't hold back any more. He raised the match launcher he got from Jean, and aimed for the puddle beneath Antony's legs.

      "Stop!" a voice called from behind. Jacques turned and saw a bloody Turner rushing towards him. The other parvs stopped and looked on in disbelief.

      "Turner," Jacques said, a bit surprised. "How interesting to see you here."

      "You tried to have me killed!" the parv accused loudly, so that everybody could hear.

      The leader didn't even try to deny it. "You stood in the way of revolution."

      "You're insane. This whole plan is insane!"

      "This plan is working. We are moments away from bringing about a new age for parvs all over the world."

      "Not anymore. I'm here to stop you."

      Jacques laughed. "So, you would rather us live in fear for the rest of our lives? You don't care that we are so easily crushed without a second thought by these clumsy oafs? You would rather hide in the shadows than step into the light?"

      "That's not what I want," Turner admitted. "But I also don't want to sacrifice my friends at the same time. I'd rather us be safe."

      "Safe? Did you not see what they did to our old home? The humans killed them all! Did you forget that?"

      "No, I don't, Jacques. I was there. Where were you? Filling these innocent parvs' heads with ideas of revolution and grandeur? That's not how revolution works. It takes time and strength. Not murder."

      "You clearly don't know what a revolution takes. It takes power. It takes extreme examples to get the people afraid. That's the only way things will change."

      "Maybe you're right," Turner shook his head. "But I'll tell you where you're wrong in this whole thing. You were more than willing to crush the spirit of dissonance. You speak of change for us, but all you really are is a dictator. What makes you so different from them?"

      "You were a traitor!" Jacques shouted. "You were willing to send each and every one of these fighters back underground. How could I let that happen?"

      Turner looked to the crowd. "Take a good look," he said and pointed to his own face. "This is what waits for you, assuming you don't get crushed to death by the giants first."

      The crowd of parvs looked at the two men who held wildly different ideals staring each other down. "Take him away!" someone in the group finally shouted. "Yeah, go back to where you came from!" another one said.

      "Looks like I have some support," Turner smiled.

      "I think they're talking to you," Jacques said. True to his word, the parvs rushed up to Turner and tried to forcefully lead him out of the podium. The bloody parv thrashed and struggled, finally breaking free long enough to land a punch on Jacque's right eye.

      There was a moment of utter silence. The leader wiped the pain from his face, and looked his attacker over. "Take him out of here," he finally said.

      "Too afraid to take me on yourself?" Turner asked.

      Jacques looked around at his crowd. He was being baited, he knew it. "Fine, then. Leave him."

      Turner was released. "Let's finish this once and for all," he spat.

      "No need," Jacques said and launched the match at the puddle on the ground. "It's already over."

      In an instant, Antony went up in flames, screaming in pain and rolling on the gasoline drenched grass. The parvs let out a cheer, while the soldiers attacking the Prime Minister attempted to flee.

      Turner watched in shock. Then, a bestial rage gripped him and he ran full speed at Jacques. The leader saw this, and easily side-stepped the assault. With a final punch he sent Turner over the edge of the podium and into the burning ground down below.