XXXIX. Fightin' Gerald Sloane

With two days left until the vote, Gerald Sloane was quite busy in the assembly. He was actively trying to pursue as many votes as he could, compared to Barrimore Kane who felt that the whole thing was already in the bag.

      "We're going to be voting on which direction this country takes," Sloane explained to assembly member Phillips. "It's imperative that we make sure we don't end up sinking the whole ship. That's exactly what Kane would do. We as a country can't allow that to happen."

      "You make some good points," Phillips said. "But Kane's temperament is more in-tuned with what we need as a Prime Minister. He's cool, calculated, and overall charming."

      "I hope you realize that you just described every serial killer in the history of this country."

      Phillips laughed. "Very funny, but you have just illustrated why you don't have the right temperament for this job."

      Sloane shook his head. He felt like the only person in the whole assembly that could see reason. "I know your game," he said. "We've all danced this dance with you before."

      "I don't know what you're talking about," he answered coyly.

      "When Bolton wanted to build that road, he slipped you a few grand and you signed off. Same thing when Jenkins needed your support for his reelection."

      "Are you suggesting that you should bribe me?" Phillips asked innocently.

      "Of course not," Sloane smiled. "I'm just offering a little incentive."

      The two remained silent for some time. "50,000." Phillips said.

      "50?"

      "A tiny sum for a man who wants to lead a nation."

      Sloane thought it over. "Fine, you have a deal," he finally said, shaking the shady assemblyman's hand.

      "A waste of money if you ask me," Phillips chuckled. "We all know that Richard Clax has a great influence over the whole assembly. And he's supporting Kane."

      "I know. I'll have a chat with Clax."

      "Good luck. That's one stubborn old man right there."

      "I'm aware," Sloane said, and left Phillips to be alone with his smug glory. The tenacious nominee took a long stroll until he came to Clax's office. He took a deep breath and knocked on the large wooden door.

      "Come in," the papery voice said from the other side. Sloane entered, and Clax smiled. "Ah, this comes as little surprise to me. What can I do for fightin' Gerald Sloane?"

      "Well, I guess there's no point in beating around the bush. You are a very influential member of the assembly. Almost a third of the members would vote for whoever you supported."

      "I don't know about all that," the man said modestly. "But I can understand how some of the junior members look up to me for guidance."

      "I'm also well aware that you are supporting Barrimore Kane for Prime Minister."

      "I'm sorry, son, but that's true. Kane has the right blend of experience and ability to heal the nation. Nothing against you, I just don't think you have the correct character to be put in such a high position of power."

      "So, there's no point in debating it with you, is there?"

      "No. You're not like to say anything to make me change my mind."

      "That's what I was afraid of." Sloane reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a series of photographs. He tossed them casually onto Clax's desk.

      "What's all this?"

      "Surveillance stills from two years ago. On the corner of 4th and Prince."

      Clax paled. "What does this have to do with me?"

      "A man died there. It's strange, because this license plate is clear in this photo. Very clear. Yet, there was no investigation, despite all of this clear evidence. It's kind of funny if you ask me. I mean, can you imagine how hard somebody had to work to keep this unfortunate incident under wraps?"

      Clax rose. "I don't know what you are implying, but-"

      "I'm not implying anything. I'm merely giving you a heads-up. If I am not voted into office as Prime Minister, this story will break. I hate to play underhanded tactics like this, but this country is just too fragile to endure any more time under these failed policies. We need someone strong to steer this whole ship into a brighter future." He turned to the door. "Keep those pictures if you want. I have copies."

      Richard Clax turned red. "Wait!" he shouted. Sloane stopped and glanced back at the old man. There was an almost imperceptible nod from the influential assemblyman. Sloane nodded back, and left the office, smiling all the while.