Chapter 1

"Just tell her how you feel." Sniper stated simply. He took a long sip of coffee from his #1 Sniper mug, which would've probably made Scout laugh if he wasn't so stressed.

He ran a hand through his hair. "You really think I should? I mean, what if Miss Pauling doesn't like me back?" Scout asked.

Sniper shrugged. "Even if she doesn't, at least you'll know," he replied.

Scout weighed the options in his mind. He wasn't quite sure how much longer he could hold his feelings in. Knowing he had to tell her how he felt, he nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right, Snipes," Scout concluded. "Thanks for the advice, man."

Sniper shrugged, "No problem, mate," He said. He took another sip of his coffee.

Scout made a disgusted face. "Gross," He mumbled.

"What?" Sniper asked.

"Coffee," Scout said. He stuck his tongue out at Sniper like a little kid.

Sniper chuckled. "Nah, coffee is great." He began, giving Scout a grin, "It's real, unlike those fake energy drinks you're always chugging."

"What? No way, my energy drinks are the best. They make me super hyper, so I can move real fast," Scout finished, grinning.

Sniper laughed, "Yeah, i've noticed. I'll be lookin' down my scope, and all the sudden there'll be a flash of red that flies by."

Scout grinned. "Heh, you got that right," He laughed. Sniper smiled and took another sip of his coffee before setting the mug on his table. He must've fished off his coffee. Scout glanced at the clock. 12:47. He yawned, though he wasn't tired. "Well, it's getting late, I should probably start heading back up to the base. Engineer always stays up with Pyro until I come back, at least on the nights that I go out."

Sniper nodded, "Yeah, it's probably for the best. G'night, mate," He said.

He stood up to leave. "Night, Snipes," Scout said, with a slight wave.

Scout closed the door behind him and began the boring walk back up to the base. Why Sniper insisted to live in a camper van instead of inside the base with the rest of the crew, Scout would probably never know. But he respected Snipers decision, he just wished the walk wasn't so long.

After a few minutes, Scout reached the base. He could see Engineer and Pyro through the sliding glass doors. He smiled, happy to know someone was waiting up for him to make sure he came home, though Scout would never admit that.

Engineer and Pyro both looked up from Pyro's coloring book. "Hey there, Scout." Engineer said. Pyro waved, a crayon still in his hand.

"Hey guys. Y'know, you don't have to stay up for me, right?" Scout replied, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge and sitting down across from Engie and Pyro.

Engineer shrugged, "I know, I know, but I just like to make sure you get home alright." He said.

Scout rolled his eyes but laughed. "Alright, dad," He teased.

Engineer smiled. "Mhm, now go to bed," He said sarcastically.

Scout laughed. "I am actually pretty tired, so I think i'm gonna go to sleep. Night guys," Scout said, standing up to leave.

"Buy Scout!" Pyro said, the words muffled by his gas mask. Engie waved over his shoulder.

Scout walked down the hallway, past half the crews rooms, and up the stairs to his room. He opened the door, closing it quiety behind him to not wake anyone up. He didn't bother changing into sleep clothes, knowing he probably wouldn't get much sleep anyways. Scout laid down in bed, staring up at the ceiling. He didn't know how the hell he would work up the courage to tell Miss Pauling that he liked her. The thought of just saying it made Scout more nervous than he'd ever been. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts in hopes he'd be able to fall asleep. Miraculously, it somehow worked, and Scout drifted off to sleep. . .

Scout shot up out of bed, heart pounding. He took a moment to calm is heartbeat and to even his breathing while his nightmare flashed back in his mind. The thoughts of his horrific dream definitely didn't help him with calming down and of course made it harder to get stabilized. Through his panic, Scout glanced at his alarm clock on the bedside table. 4:57. Practically 5 AM. Scout wouldn't need to be awake until nearly seven, since work started at eight. However, he knew he'd never be able to fall asleep after that dream.

Scout swung his legs off the side of the bed and reached for his water bottle. He downed nearly half of it. Meanwhile, he was still battling himself mentally, trying to push the vivid dream from his memory. He was finally able to calm himself down enough to get up and walk around. Scout began pacing around in his room, which unbelievably helped him. Walking, or running rather, always made Scout feel at peace and in control. So, he continued pacing.

Until there was a knock on his door. Scout stopped, dead in his tracks. Another knock. He took in a breath and walked over to the door. Scout opened it to see Spy standing alone in the hallway, immensely annoyed. But then again, when wasn't the man annoyed at something.  

Scout began, "Hello, Spy, what can I help you with-"

"Why are you pacing around your room so early?" He hissed.

Scout glared at him. "Sorry, did I wake you from your beauty sleep?"

Dry laughter, "Oh please, I never sleep," Spy sneered.

Scout rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry, next time i'll try to be more quiet," Scout spat, slamming the door in Spy's face. He head feet shuffling going downstairs as Spy left. Scout got more and more annoyed as he thought about Spy, while he mindlessly changed into fresh clothes for work later. He re-wrapped the grip-tape around his wrists and messed with his hair for a moment before leaving his room to go for a morning run.

Scout tip-toed down the stairs, so Spy wouldn't get annoyed again, and he was surprised to see how alive the base was at 5:30 in the morning. Soldier and Demoman sat at the kitchen table, talking over an egg and toast breakfast. Surely Scouts pacing alone couldn't have woken Spy because they weren't exactly being quiet. They were talking in their normal voices which was both fairly loud. And they must've been really funny because there was constant loud, obnoxious laugher. Scout probably could've slipped right past them and out the back door, but he didn't wanna risk being seen.

Heavy and Medic were also awake, but they were both in the rec room. They were sat together at the couch, watching something on the TV. Scout could probably slip beside them instead, as they both seemed still half asleep. That was his only other option of getting outside. Scout took a breath and as best he could, silently walked along the wall. He turned the door handle, opened the side door, and walked outside. Thank god no one had noticed him.

The cool air hit him instantly, and Scout loved it. He took a deep breath, the air seemingly clearing his mind as he did so, and Scout began to jog around the base. He stayed a good distance, so the others wouldn't be alarmed if they saw someone run right by the windows. Not that they'd notice anyways, they'd probably still be to wrapped up in their own worlds.

Scout didn't realize when he'd started running, but he'd left jogging way behind as he sprinted along the property line. He didn't realize it immediately, but his feet were subconsciously carrying him to Sniper's camper van. As the camper came into view, Scout could faintly see a light through the window. It wasn't surprising, considering the amount of caffeine Sniper consumed daily. I mean, it had to be for a reason, it just all made sense to Scout now.

Scout decided it was best to turn around and head back. He didn't wanna seem creepy for just standing near Snipers van, so he took off in the direction of the base. Besides, his mind was clear and work would start soon. Plus, he was hungry.

A/N: ayyyy so here a thing i'm writing about tf2 thanks for reading!!!