Chapter 9

Scout was sat as his desk, drawing a picture of him and Sniper. It wasn't anything fancy, just them holding hands. Scout had tried convinced himself that it was just for practice, but he knew in his heart that the drawing was what he wanted.

Until there was a sudden knock on his door. "Scout, it's Sniper, can I come in?" Sniper called from the other side.

Scout reddened. "Fuck," He mumbled, under his breath. He quickly shoved the drawing into a folder and threw it into one of the desk drawers. "Y-yeah, come on in!" He called out.

Scout walked over to the door just as Sniper opened it. "Hey," Scout said, trying to act casual. He nervously ran a hand threw his hair, making sure it was smooth. Scout was almost never caught without his baseball cap but he never wore it when he was just chilling in his room. After all, he wasn't expecting company.

"Hey," Sniper began. He awkwardly fidgeted. It made Scout kinds glad he wasn't the only nervous one. "Just, wanted to stop buy, I was bored and stuff..." Sniper said, voice trailing off.

"Oh, yeah, yeah! Come on in, Snipes! Anytime!" Scout said, stepping aside. Sniper smiled and they awkwardly shuffled into the room.

"So, ah, this is it, huh?" Sniper asked.

Scout nodded, "Yeah, yeah I got the room all decked out. Got my bed, for sleeping', got my couch, for, i dunno, just chilling, and got the desk for drawing," Scout said, pointing to the various furniture in the room.

Sniper nodded. "Nice, nice,"

Scout nodded. "Mhm." He tried to think of something to say. "Ah, hey, take a seat, man, chillax," Scout said.

Sniper smiled. He sat on the couch and Scout sat on his bed. They were facing each other. It wasn't until now that Scout noticed Sniper had coffee, although now i'm a portable mug. He smiled to himself.

"I didn't know you were an artist," Sniper remarked, glancing over to the desk.

Scout mentally kicked himself for saying that. "Uh, yeah, I mean, i'm not really an artist more of just, a doodler, or drawer or something. I mean it's not that serious and, i'm not even that good," Scout rambled.

Sniper shrugged. "Can I see some of your work?" He asked.

Scout opened his mouth to reply, but a mess of words came out. He stuttered, flushing, "I, um, I mean, it's, it's just like, the drawing, I–"

Sniper waved a hand, cutting him off. "It's okay, mate, really. I get it, if they're personal and stuff," He replied.

Scout smiled. "Ah, thanks, for understanding," Scout said.

Sniper nodded. "No problem, Scout,"

Scout nodded. He could feel the anxiety bubbling up in his chest. He wasn't used to his heart beating so fast, especially when he wasn't running. It scared him. Both of them sat in an awkward silence, neither knowing what to say.

"So, what's it's like to have a room in here, and live with everyone?" Sniper asked, curiously.

It was an odd question, but anything was better than the defeating silence. "Ah, its..." Scout trailed off, thinking. "There always something." He declared, a smile creeping onto his face.

"Like what?" Sniper asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

Scout thought for a moment. "Well, I mean, I have to keep Pyro from burning the base down like, all the time," He began, "And Engie's always testing some new contraption. And Medics always trying to do weird experiments on us. Heavy, hell if I know what he's doing. Probably with Medic. Spy's always sneaking around. Soldier and Demo usually do things together too, nothing to extreme. Except the time they used Soldier's rocket launcher to launch beer cans down the hallway," Scout said, laughing.