Chapter 3

It was another long day at work. Scout wasn't exhausted but he was still not emotionally at his best. However, he was starting to feel better about the whole situation with Miss Pauling. He remember what Sniper had said about getting an answer from her. He was right, at least Scout didn't have to wonder anymore. It put his mind at ease.

Speaking of Sniper, Scout was walking down the trail to his van right now. He felt bad about not going to see Sniper yesterday, but he figured Sniper would understand.

Scout walked up to the door and knocked on. He heard the usual 'come in' from Sniper and walking inside. Sniper sat at the couch, drinking coffee, as usual. It brought a smile to Scouts face.

"Hey," Scout said, sitting down beside him.

"Hey. How'd it go with Miss Pauling?" Sniper asked.

Although Scout just wanted to forget it happened, Sniper deserved an answer. "Miss Pauling wasn't interested," He mumbled

Sniper winced. "Aw, i'm sorry, mate." He said.

Scout shrugged, "It's alright, man."

"What did she say?" Sniper questioned.

Scout internally winced. He was hoping Sniper wouldn't ask him that. "Uh, some stuff," Scout muttered.

Sniper raised an eyebrow. "Like what?" A pause, "I mean, it's alright if you don't want to, or can't, tell me, just wonderin', that's all."

Scout waved at a hand at him. "Nah, nah. I'll tell you, ya just can't tell anyone else. I mean, she didn't really say it was, like, a secret, but, well, I don't think she wants the whole world knowing, ya know?"

Sniper started at him blankly for a moment. "I..don't know, actually." He said.

Scout flushed. Obviously he didn't know, he hadn't told him yet. "Yeah, heh, sorry. It's just that...ah how do I put this, she's gay, Snipes," Scout replied.

Sniper started at him for a moment, dumbfounded, "What?" He asked.

Scout explained again, "She's gay. Lesbian. Likes girls. Not guys. She wants to fuc–"

"Yeah, yeah I get it," Sniper interrupted, "it's just, wow, I wouldn't have expected it, but when you think about it..."

"Makes sense right?" Scout interjected.

"Yeah, yeah, it really does," Sniper finished. He sat back, sipping his coffee. Sniper looked lost in thought for a moment, before speaking up again, "Hey, you're not...you're not upset with me, right?"

Scout shook his head in confusion. "No? Why would I be?" He asked.

Sniper shrugged. "It's just, I was the one who told you to tell Miss Pauling, and she rejected you. It's...it's my fault." Sniper murmured.

Scout knew that time of voice all too well. He knew that deep down, Sniper was probably blaming himself for Miss Pauling's rejection. "No, nonononono. It's not your fault. I just simply took your advice. And hey, you were right. It does feel sort of freeing to finally have a solid answer and not have to keep wondering and guessing how she feels. And it takes a weight of my shoulders to not have to hold in my..feelings.. anymore." Scout explained.

Sniper nodded. "Alright. Thanks, Scout."

Scout nodded, "No problem."

He sat back, lost in thought. It was still surreal to him how Miss Pauling was gay. The fact that their team had a gay member. It made Scout happy.
What's it like, for her? To be gay?