Chapter 8

After a long day and a lose on the battlefield, Scout hung out with Sniper in his van. He found it comforting on the rough day, and it was always better than being alone.

"Ugh, I sucked today," Scout complained, collapsing onto the couch.

Sniper stood by the coffee pot, waiting for it to finish brewing. "It's alright, mate. You can't win em all," He said, shrugging.

"I swear I must've died like, 10 times, stupid Spy kept backstabbing me," Scout said. Sniper have an apologetic look. "I hate Spy's. Ours included."

Sniper shrugged, "You shouldn't be so hard on Spy. Our Spy, of course," He replied.

"Why, he's a backstabbing scumbag like the rest of em," Scout continued.

Sniper shrugged. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it.

"What?" Scout asked.

"Ah, it's nothing," Sniper said, turning around to make coffee.

Scout focus his gaze on him, "No, what were you going to say?" He asked.

Sniper fixes up his coffee but he stood standing next to the counter still. "Spy is... Ah, nothing, Spy should tell you, not me," He said.

Scout stared at him. "What?"

"Really, Scout, he'all probably kill me," Sniper joked, though Scout didn't laugh.

Scout got up, angrily. "I'm tired of everyone keeping secrets from me," He muttered, running out and slamming the door behind him.

Scout stormed up to the base. He felt a pang of guilt for yelling at Sniper but he could deal with that later. For now, he opened the door to the base and walked in.

Engineer and Spy were sat at the table, Engie tinkering with something in his hands, and Spy reading a book. "Whoa there, Scout, you alright?" Engineer asked. Scout shook his head, angrily. "Well, hey, we can go test this new machine I build, that'll make you feel better right?"

In truth it probably would have made him feel better, but Scout shook his head. But before he really had time to react, Spy jumped in the conversation.

"He's not your son, he doesn't want to go play builder with you," Spy hissed.

Engineer frowned, "Well I treat him like a son more than you do,"

Spy said something angrily back at Engineer but Scout didn't register exactly what. Suddenly everything came back to him at once, in flashbacks, and he stared at Spy.

Is that what Sniper was talking about? "W-what are you talking about? Is there something you're not telling me? Because I already know there's some big secret, so just freakin' tell me," Scout said, crossing his arms over his chest.

Spy and Engineer stopped mid sentence, both had escalated into yelling at each other, and stared at Scout.

Spy sighed. "What did Sniper tell you?" He asked.

Scout frowned, "He wouldn't tell me anything, I tried asking me, but he said you're the one that has to tell me," Scout said.

Spy and Engineer glanced at each other. "Merde... Scout, there's something you should know..." Spy began, not knowing exactly how to say this without Scout flipping his shit.

"Alright, what is it?" Scout asked. This whole situation gave him a weird vibe.

Spy took a deep breath. "Scout, I, ah..." He trailed off, not knowing how to word it.