[ A World To Ponder ]

[Part 2]

Irene heavily woke up in a drastic setting of her own room. 

She quivered at the sudden chill of the cold circulating around, pondering why today felt weird compared to the previous days. It wouldn't be this cold during the morning and oddly, the fabric of her blanket felt too soft. She sat up from the comfortable bed, adjusting back to life as she blinked her eyes. 

What used to be plain grey walls with tidy yet cramped furnitures around the room had now been replaced with simplistic Scandinavian designs. Pale, wintery designs of the Arctic was smeared around the walls in a soft pastel of blue hue. Finely oil painted portraits had been altered to framed pictures of the family. 

Her eyes enlarged in meager panic as she tried to reciprocate the sudden change. 

Artificial pot plants were arranged at the corners whilst one mini plant pot sat on the work desk. One or two pieces of novels were stacked neatly at the corner of the table as five journals could be found on a neat built-in shelf. 

The hanging pines were no longer hung from her window. It was replaced with a peculiar design that she had not perceived before ever during her living years. The handcrafted wooden table that was made for her to study was no longer the same. 

This era did not feel like home. 

It felt like she leapt through time into the future. Everything was so peculiar, calming yet odd at the same time. The soft hues were able to alleviate most of her anxiety, but her confusion consumed her mind even more. She could not feel relaxed upon finding herself in a different setting. 

Irene was unable to recognise the familiarity of this room at all. She was not able to grasp the sudden change of the concept. She was unable to reciprocate the drastic change of mood. Her heart raced uncontrollably as she began to panic. It felt as if she was living in the lifestyle of another person. 

She did not like this change at all. This deemed as unnatural to her instincts as she wanted to cry. 

Pushing the blankets away, Irene got off the bed with a light leap and noticed the elongated mirror resting against the wall. She felt even more baffled and was paralysed with stillness. 

Mirrors were usually found in the bathroom, yet there was one sitting on the right corner. Her heart was beginning to be filled with curiosity whilst her mind screamed to get out. Her legs listened to her heart more than the mind, bringing her heavy steps closer to the harmless mirror. 

Through each cautious step taken towards the furniture, Irene carefully examined more of her surroundings. She knew that she should escape from this place. It was unfamiliar to her knowledge and adapting to the developed interior felt too quick. She needed time to adjust to the sudden change. 

Could this be a part of Peter's magic?

Her heart drummed louder and harsher against her frail chest. Irene took one last step to the side, which finally gave her the full view of her figure. 

She was almost shocked upon finding the changed outfit and the hairstyle, but remained at ease upon finding that she was still in the same body. She was still Irene. She still had the same face and memories. 

Irene rushed towards the closed window, almost stumbling on her steps from the newfound clumsiness. She caught herself in reflex before even falling face-flat onto the hard ground. She would cry at first instinct and she did not want to do so. 

She was slightly perplexed at the design of the window, yet easily figured it out as her fingers fumbled with the handle. 

The cold winter weather slapped her directly on the face, sending eerie chills around her body. She almost stumbled backwards once again, yet caught her balance. She was eager to see if there was any other changes with the outside world now that she felt the drastic change of weather.