[ Night One ]

Blood red.

That was the only perception Irene could grasp of the whole Red Castle. She couldn't describe it as more horrifying than it is already. 

What she hadn't expected were headless bodies, bloodied, crippled and rotting limbs served as the adornments of the exterior's cornice and columns as they got up closer. Irene had almost wanted to run away and even throw up from the overwhelming pungent stench. 

Taehyung was there to embrace her once more and she felt thankful that he smelled even nice, like lavender compared to the metallic mansion itself. She pondered on how anyone, especially a human being could live in such horrendous circumstances. Under the ruling of the Red Queen, Irene did not want to imagine any further about the Queen's appearance.

Just a single glance at the bloodied columns tormented her half-empty stomach.

She wanted her parents. She wanted to stay with Wendy. She preferred to stay at the White Castle, anyone wanted to. 

This idea of a plan wasn't suitable for her adaptation and reaction. Needless to say, they were finally inside after having to pass through easily past the unguarded yet bloody gates. Everyone fear from trespassing here. Everyone except these people. The guards were on watch by the summit and two solitaire soldiers approached the carriage. 

Irene didn't think that the soldiers were actual cards. Now, she believed that her mind has gone awry. 

From there on, everything blurred past like a continuous moving scenery. She forgot what had happened. It was hazy to remember how they even got inside the castle and were now seated in the dining table.

Clenching her fists together, Irene kept her gaze low in utmost respect, or at least that was what she was trying to convey. The stench burned in her throat and light tears welled up in her eyelids. The hall was deadly quiet and she could only listen to the fast pace of her breathing.

"Irene." Taehyung pointed out, reaching for her shoulder as he gave it a pat. She glanced wearily at him and weakly nodded. They were able to enter the Red Castle unnoticed of their real identity, but they still have to take precautions. Anything could backfire at anytime. Irene released a shuddered sigh and closed her eyes.

Leaning against the skeletal chair, she replaced the vicious images into euphoria. She tried imagining what it was like, including her family, Wendy and the joy on their faces. 

Suddenly, the grand door bursted open and the giant caterpillar servant standing behind the door was turned into meat. Its organs and mushed skin splattered against the wall, dripping ever so slowly that Irene had to look away. Taehyung clenched his jaw and he wanted to bring Irene back to the White Castle, but they were here now.

She squirmed in her seat.

"Oooh! Guests! Welcome dear guests to my fair and lovely grand home!" The Red Queen exclaims in excitement, rather too much. Her saliva drooled down to the floor, but she walked over it staining the red and black lace dress. Irene clenched her shirt once more and steadied her breathing.

The others were already standing up and she followed in pursuit. Taehyung noticed her slightly quavering body. 

"Good day, your Majesty." Aden bowed down in respect and the rest followed too. Irene was reluctant to see the Red Queen's face, yet she did so anyway. 

"Sit down. Sit down my delicious guests." The Red Queen smiled even wider and Irene wondered how far her lips could reach beyond her cheeks. She could imagine it, but instantly wiped it off the moment she faced Irene.

How could anyone stand to endure this sight? Why did she refer to them as 'delicious guests'?

The Red Queen had a big head too big for her small rusty crown. Her teeth were so yellow and unhealthy and tainted with evident stains of red. Her dress reeked off blood and Irene noticed the thick stains on her dress. Her eyes were tinted burning red. There was something odd about this Red Queen.