[ Red Queen ]

A rush of adrenaline that had coursed through her veins abated into nothing but comfort. Irene had slept throughout the ride through to the other stop and was eventually tapped awake by Taehyung. 

She was startled at first, but realised her situation right now. 

Irene felt as if she was in another world. She thought she was dead for the second time right now, but something brought her back to life. She could not pinpoint on any given clues whatsoever. Unable to see through this pathway, more questions depleted her head. 

Why was she living again after dying, only to appear in a new dimension? Was this what the afterlife was like? What had Irene done in the past to atone for this? Was this the only way to atone for her unknown sins? What did she do? Did she physically harm Taehyung back then? Why couldn't she remember?

What was going on?

She got off the carriage, still with the pendant in her palms. Irene wanted to give it back to him. She felt quite happier, somehow. Irene felt neutral towards Taehyung after what he'd done, but the haunting memories from before left a mark. Time would be the only source to heal her psychological wounds. 

They were at a quiet place by now, surrounded by trees and greenery. No dead bodies were around and that ease the heart of the innocent lass. Irene could finally breathe in properly without having to quaver at the thought of blood. 

"Is she going to be all right?" Aden required to Taehyung, who was merely just examining Irene's behaviour right now. Taehyung simply shrugged for a bit before unloading the box filled with food. He felt hungry all of a sudden and he felt Irene was starving too, even if she didn't exhibit the hunger. 

"I'll keep a look out for her." Taehyung replied, rummaging carefully through the neatly packed food storage.

He took out two well made sandwiches and some flasks of warm water. Taehyung walked up to the quiet Irene and cleared his throat. She turned around and noticed the food in his grip.

"Here. Take some. You must be hungry since leaving the castle."

Reluctant for a bit, she took one sandwich and water flask in her grip.

"How about your pendant?" She asked without properly looking at him. The sandwich looked very appeasing and she couldn't wait to try it out. Irene was hungry apparently during the whole ride, but she kept it to herself.

"You should keep it, for now."

Irene nodded and Taehyung sat closer to the edge of the greenery ground. The lass placed the pendent in her pocket for safe-keeping and sat a distance away from Taehyung, although she aligned with him. Taehyung took no notice and began to chew his first sandwich, inducing Irene to open her package as well.

"Do you know why I asked you to keep the pendent?" Taehyung chewed with a mouthful of the bread, lettuce and beef together. Irene wanted to slap him for speaking as he ate, but chose not to act so rash. She picked up the piece of sandwich carefully and examined the brisk texture.

"I don't know ... why did you?" She prodded, taking a small bite of the triangular sandwich. Her eyes widen in exhilaration at the simplicity of the food that could taste so wonderful. 

"I have a nephew. He should be ten years old, if he were alive by now."

Irene chewed slowly and almost lost her appetite. 

"What ... happened?" She gazed towards the serene forest. It was too quiet, but she loved the tranquility. It contrasted vastly to her home surrounded by the desert. This reminded her of the Neverland maze. She could not forget about those moments, no matter how much she tried.