Happy Birthday! (Kili x Hobbit!Reader)

For my BESTI EleanorLearn, I am SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG, MY PARENTS NEEDED MY HELP NAILING DOWN THE SUBFLOORING DOWNSTAIRS AND THEN I HAD TO COOK DINNER I'M SO SORRY!!!!!

Also, now my left thumb is killing me XD

Play the song whenever you want, it's just meant to be cute, haha! (It's This is My Song by Mindy Gledhill...I love her)

—————————————————————————————————-

Thorin had just been coronated, Erebor was now reclaimed, and the Arkenstone shone brilliantly above his royal throne. Everyone had survived, and everything was back to the way it used to be in the good old days.

But now it was time to go home.

As you packed up your few possessions (most of them being gifts from Thorin and the others for helping to reclaim Erebor and being in the Company), you felt tears prick the corners of your eyes. You did not want to leave all your dwarvish friends.

Your elder brother Bilbo, who was beside you bagging his possessions as well, noticed your saddened state, and paused his packing to hug you tenderly.

"It'll be all right, (Y/n)," he whispered soothingly into your curly (h/c) hair. "We'll see them again someday, I promise."

"I don't wanna-wanna leave Kili! I love him!" you sobbed and hiccuped hysterically. Bilbo said nothing, he knew there was nothing he could say that would consolidate you.

Your cries filled the silence in the room that you and Bilbo shared, and put into 'words', if you will, what your brother was feeling. He did not want to leave his friends behind either.

But the hour of departure came nonetheless, and far too soon.

You and Bilbo stood outside the gates of Erebor with your packs and bedrolls on your backs, saying your last goodbyes to the Company.

As Bilbo and Thorin were bidding each other farewell, you approached Kili, your tears fresh and anew. As you got closer to the dark-haired prince, you noticed that his eyes also seemed to be watering.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye," Kili murmured jokingly, trying to lighten up the mood.

You nodded, sniffing and trying your hardest not to let your tears fall past your lashes. "I guess so," you agreed quietly, and wrapped your arms around the dwarf prince tightly.

Kili returned the embrace with a matching fervor, breathing in the scent of your hair, wishing with all his might that you would not have to leave; that Bilbo would let you stay.

His hopes were crushed when Bilbo finally called to you, "Come along, (Y/n), dear. It's best we leave while we have the light."

You nodded and let go of Kili, the tears finally streaming down the apples of your cheeks. "Goodbye, Kili," you whispered with a faint smile, one that still held the hope of seeing him again someday. Kili grunted and returned the expression while simultaneously sniffing and blinking back tears.

You didn't know this, but he fancied you quite a lot. He was going to ask you if he could court you today, but he had only learned just that morning that you and Bilbo were leaving to head back to the Shire. Now he just didn't have the heart to admit that he loved you.

>>>timeskip to a year later, in the Shire, on your birthday—brought to you by young Thorin's ponybeard<<<

"Happy Birthday, (Y/n)!" your brother Bilbo cried, waking you from your deep slumber.

You groaned and sat up, a tired smile on your face. "Is it time to wake up already?" you murmured groggily.