Chapter 11

Adrien

I walk into school with a smile on my face.

Yes, I know, that should actually be illegal.

But I'm not smiling because of school; I'm smiling because of her.

...At least I am until I catch sight of her empty seat. "Alya, where's Marinette?" I ask, a frown etched across my lips. What I meant to say was, 'Alya, where's the only sunshine that brightens my day? Where's my princess?' But I think that may have sounded a little weird.

She gives me an excited grin. "She's probably slept in and through doing that made herself late to school. Maybe you should switch places with me so you can ask her yourself though when she gets here?" I return her excited grin and nod my head, getting up again to switch places with her without even confronting Nino about it. I'll talk to him later though.

Sitting in Alya's seat, I begin to grow nervous. What if Marinette's in a bad mood and doesn't want to talk to me? What if she gets sent to the principal's office for being late? I mentally gasp. That means I won't be able to talk to her at all!

"A-Adrien?!" A voice from beside me suddenly wakes me out of my thoughts. Turning my head I'm faced with Marinette.

Wait, was I so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice her walk in?

Well, apparently I'm blind.

"Oh! Um, h-hey Marinette," I awkwardly say, bringing a hand up to the back of my neck. Damn it, why did I agree to swap places with Alya? I'm Adrien right now, not Cat Noir!  And what's up with my sudden stutter? I'm usually pretty smooth with Marinette. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

"How come you and Alya switched seats?" she asks, drumming her fingers on the desk.

My reasoning for sitting here goes out the window as soon as she asks me, and I'm left to fumble over my words in an attempt to socially save myself. "Well, I-uh-I...I don't know-I just-How come you were late?" I not-so-smoothly change subjects. Wow, I really wish I could just freeze time and gather my thoughts on a piece of paper so I could plan out how to talk to her and be prepared. But then again, I'd still probably be an awkward mess in this conversation.

"Oh, I was late because I didn't get much sleep last night and I accidentally slept in. I'm so glad Ms Bustier hasn't told me off for it though," she smiles in relief, looking completely calm and collected-nothing like she used to be around me. I'm hoping that's just because she's learned to control her crush on me and not because she's stopped liking me.

"Oh, how come you didn't get much sleep last night?" I ask, a sudden boost of confidence surging through me as Marinette's face turns red at the question.

"Um-Well-I-I was up late talking to a friend..." she nervously trails off, still blushing. Something inside of me jumps around at this because I was the 'friend' that she stayed up late talking to and she's blushing over it. Can she get any more adorable?

"Ah, cool. So anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight?" I blurt it out before even thinking. It's almost as though my heart's taken over my brain and all logic has just left. We've hung out a lot just lately; I don't want her to get sick of me!

She smiles. "I'd absolutely love to, but I promised Alya a girls night. I'm free tomorrow though?" I mentally sigh, thinking about how lonely I'm going to be tonight, until I remember that I have my Chinese lesson today so I wouldn't have been able to hang out with her anyway. Ugh, damn my impulsivity and busy schedule!