chapter 25: berserk

"YOU!"

His voice was like thunder and the hay around Jo trembled, as if it knew who'd stepped into the room and felt helpless at his feet. 

Jo shivered underneath her tiny fur blanket. She felt as helpless as a feeble kitten. 

At once she knew who it was in front of her....she was seconds away from death.

"Goodbye Lottie," she mumbled, her held back tears slowly fell.

-----------

It was a cold, chilly morning. Lottie was shivering as she rode quickly on her bike, skidding around corners in a panic. But she was too nervous to slow down the pace as every second of every hour she was thinking about the killer who was hunting her down. 

'I'm coming soon!' Was the little message he'd sent her on her bedroom floor. In Lottie's wild mind it was followed with a spine-chilling laugh that sent her heart racing faster than ever. 

She needed to get to Kai....and work out this cruel killer quickly or she would soon meet her grave.

Lottie was panting when she finally climbed of her bike. Kai was waiting for her at a small, pretty, round table and Lottie was very grateful for his company. 

She sat down with a sigh, and flopped backwards onto her seat.

"I will never sleep again," she declared, after she caught her breath, "Not when I could be killed."

Kai nodded and pulled his chair backwards. "Well think of me! I had to watch the whole video, looked like this guy had some time on his hands!"

Lottie trembled but managed to laugh. Humour was a thing she needed right now. A few jokes would soon restore her to her usual self.

A sweet, slightly overweight waitress scuttled over to them, clutching her menu in excitement like it was her golden possession. 

Someone's happy, Lottie thought, grinning, 6 months ago that menu would have been my phone.

"What can I get you!?" the waitress said, with a extremely wide smile, it almost frightened the life out of Lottie. Kai attempted to hold back a laugh. 

"A-A...br-br..." Kai exploded into laughter. Lottie blushed, slightly embarrassed while the waiter tried to work out what could possibly be wrong with the boy.

Did he need medical help or an ice-pack? The waitress got close to asking the boy but Lottie interrupted.

"He meant a brownie, a mango smoothie, a cappuccino and a strawberry tart."

The waitress scribbled down the order hastily before running of, wondering if she'd overacted her job. Maybe she needed to be a little more charming...

Kai rubbed his eyes and grinned. He looked close to crying with laughter but when he glanced at Lottie he stopped.

"Whats up with you?" he asked, noticing her irritated expression on her face, "Wasn't that not funny? I mean, that was the stupidest smile!" He laughed again. "Why would anyone do that? Look so crazy but think it was just so perfect for the job!"

Lottie still wasn't laughing. She just did not find funny. Smiles just freaked her out now. Whenever she  saw one, she jumped and wondered if it was the smile of a secret killer.

"C'mon, Lot, admit it....you found it funny," said Kai, leaning back in his seat/

Lottie shook her head. "It just...was weird," she said.