Part 2: Live as a Vampire or Die a Human

ASH HAD SPRINTED FOR NEARLY TWENTY MINUTES, down unfamiliar city sidewalks, until it felt like her lungs would burst from exhaustion

ASH HAD SPRINTED FOR NEARLY TWENTY MINUTES, down unfamiliar city sidewalks, until it felt like her lungs would burst from exhaustion. Using what was left of her endurance, she ran into an alleyway, nearly five miles from the hotel she had been found in. She nearly collapsed against the wall of the alley when she finally stopped to catch her breath.

Ash ripped her sweatshirt off, dropping it carelessly to the pavement. Making room to look for her phone, Ash transferred the knife into the back pocket of her jeans. She then clicked the only number saved to the device: Wyatt's. She put the phone to her ear and listened to the sound of the dial. Light blond hair stuck to her face, damp from sweat.

Wyatt didn't answer so Ash proceeded to leave a voicemail. "It's me." She said through heavy breaths. "I only just got away from the hunters...I'm fine, I'm not hurt. I hope you're okay." She paled at the thought that he would never receive this message, that his body was left at the hotel. "I'll go to the spot as soon as I can. Call me. Let me know you're okay." She paused. "I love you." She hung up.

There was no question of what to do next; she would find her way to the spot where Wyatt would hopefully be waiting. Upon arriving in New York City, the pair had decided on a relatively small diner located in Brooklyn to meet, in the instance they were separated.

Ash turned to the mouth of the alley and her heart nearly burst in sudden fear as she saw the outline of a figure standing before her. The man stepped closer, light from the street illuminating his face just enough so she could identify him.

It was one of the vampires from Wyatt's nest, she realized. It was the one called Hanson. His skin was paper white but his eyes were dark.

Living near the nest, Ash had seen the Other vampires before, but their contact was always kept limited. Wyatt didn't trust his companions enough to let them speak more than a couple words at a time to Ash. But they had been just as curious about her as she had been about them. Ash knew that if it was up to Wyatt, the two of them wouldn't even live with the Others. But after Wyatt was turned- something Ash still felt responsible for- he needed guidance and help that Ash couldn't provide. He needed help from someone like him. A vampire.

They lived with a group of vamps, their numbers only around ten. Five males, five females. Ash knew that vampires mated for life, so it seemed almost natural to stumble across a nest comprised of couples.

Ash barely knew Hanson, but she knew his wife, Audra. She was perhaps the only vampire Ash felt safe around, besides Wyatt. Audra too had lived with vampires, before she had been turned. She had showed Ash a soft understanding that under a loose definition, could have passed for friendship.

"H-Hanson-" Ash stuttered, trying to hide her fear. "How did you find me?"

"Your scent." He answered quietly.

"What happened?" She asked. "Are they all-"

"Dead?" Hanson finished for her, bitterly. "From what I saw, yes." He paused, his eyes appearing to darken. "I rushed in but it was too late to save anyone. I saw Audra's head, rolling along the floor, and then I fled." His voice was momentarily grief stricken.