Part 16: Find Me

THE LIGHTS WERE LOW AS ASH glanced around the club. Her skin prickled, sensing the impending danger. Hazel eyes skimmed through the crowd, determined. She had been inside for nearly twenty minutes, the rush of being exposed having passed. She told herself not to drop her guard. As she pushed past people, set on making her way to the bar, Ash was surprised to realize she wasn't afraid at all. She was definitely not the same girl she had been those years ago when the vampire had first victimized her. She wouldn't cry or beg for her life this time.

"Whiskey." Ash addressed the bartender when she finally reached her destination. She didn't return the bartender's smile, opting to glance over her shoulder quickly. She couldn't explain how, but she was certain that the vampire was here. It was like she could feel it.

"Here you go, doll." The bartender slid the glass across the counter top. If she hadn't been preoccupied by her nerves, she would have been unsettled by the way he was looking at her.

"Thanks." Ash caught the drink. She usually didn't prefer whiskey, but she had the taste stuck in her mouth ever since sharing that bottle with Dean so many weeks ago. It was a taste that she had acquired to remind herself of the hunter.

Brushing her hair away from her mouth, she threw back the drink. She puckered her lips at the taste, allowing the sensation warm her body. She shivered into Wyatt's jacket, comforted by the smell of him that clung to the leather. Her nerves were slowly disappearing. Maybe it was the alcohol in her system or maybe her adrenaline had finally been regulated.

"You looking for someone?" The bartender questioned, noticing the way Ash's eyes never seemed to settle. "You're gonna have a hell of a time finding them in this place tonight."

The club was packed, and the flickering lights made it nearly impossible to make out anyone's face. The atmosphere certainly matched Ash's mood: bleak and sinister. No wonder this was where the vampire came to abduct girls. Under the lights and music, everything was a distraction. No one would notice a kidnapping.

"I don't think I have to find anyone." Ash replied absently. Her fingers slipped into the pocket of her jacket, reassuring herself that she wasn't completely defenseless. She had the vial of dead man's blood Sam gave her.

"What do you mean?" The bartender asked.

"He's going to find me." She knew it to be true. There was no explaining how she knew it; she just did.

"He's a lucky guy," The bartender said with a half smile. He refilled her glass kindly, a satisfied expression smoothing over his plain features as Ash laughed at his comment.

"You think so?" She questioned, finally looking at the bartender with her full attention. She raised her glass to her lips, watching him from behind the drink. A uncharacteristic laziness slowed her movements. His eyes followed her mouth, his own lips pulled into a thin smile.

"Of course," He said, drawing a little closer. "Why wouldn't he be?"

Ash frowned. That feeling of calm and slowness had suddenly become overwhelmingly strong. As her small frame being to sway slightly, she put her pale hands on the bar top, bracing herself.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

This was not the effect of alcohol. She was well versed in the world of drinking. Two whiskeys should not have caused this effect on her. This was something else. Something she had been too occupied to see.

Ash blinked twice, strands of her light hair dangling in front of her eyes.

"I mean, any guy here that gets to leave with you would be lucky." The bartender continued unbothered.