CHAPTER TWELVE: THE ONE I NEVER KNEW ||SAHRA||

"What if, after meeting him, I wished he remained the one I never knew?" -Sahra Khan

Chapter Twelve:

The One I Never Knew

☀️ Sahra Khan☀️

Ever since I was young, there was this quote by Martin Luther King Jr. that I'd always love to read to help me when I was going through tough times. I'd mostly think of it whenever my mother came to mind or when something challenging would occur in my life. If you can't fly. then run, if you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward. I don't know why those words motivated me so much to keep going, but they did. And right now, at this moment, I need all of the motivation that I can get. I also couldn't bring myself to look at mom's journals without Sumayah so I didn't even bother touching them. After I stayed in my car for about another ten minutes or so, I finally started the engine and proceeded to make my way back home.

All I know right now is that I have to come clean about everything that has been happening lately to Aunty Amira because she deserves to know. Also because, I just don't know what to do anymore. If either Sumayah or I continue to look into this, I fear that something bad may happen. Don't think like that Sahra, nothing will happen In Shaa Allah, I thought to myself reassuringly. What's the worst that can happen anyway? Sumayah's father may just take her back to New York if he finds out. Its weird to think that he's also my father as well. Just the thought of ever meeting him again is enough to give me chills. In Shaa Allah, I'm going to try my best to not get involved with him. At least not until I'm mentally prepared to face him.

Another couple of minutes passed until I drove into the parking lot of my house and parked the car. I then noticed that only Aunty Amira's car was out front. I hope that Ismail isn't home either so I could talk to her about this without worrying about him overhearing. I just want to get everything out in the open so that later there won't be anymore surprises. No matter how ugly the truth may be, I still want to figure it all out. As I walked inside, I saw Aunty sitting in the living room as she watched what I'm guessing was the news. "Assalamualaikum." I said as I took off my shoes and closed the front door. She turned around and flashed me a slight smile which didn't reach her eyes. "Walaikumusalam habibti." Aunty responded as she lowered the volume on the television set. I began to make my way to the couch and sat down beside her. For the first ten minutes or so we were telling each other how our days went and then I started to think of Sumayah and how I have to tell Aunty Amira about her. "Is something wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"I'd be lying if I said no." I replied in a small voice.

To be completely honest, I was terrified to tell her. Saying everything out loud makes it feel all the more real and that's what scares me. I don't want this to be real. Don't get me wrong though, I love the thought of having a sister, a twin, but I hate knowing that our whole entire lives have been one big fat lie. All the people that loved and cared for us have been lying to the both of us ever since we were born. So how could either of us just accept that reality?