CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY ||SAHRA||

"It feels like I am watching myself from afar and wondering at what point did life get so messed up." -Sahra Khan, SBC.

Chapter Twenty Four:

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

☀️ Sahra Khan ☀️

Numb. That was the best word to describe what I am feeling at this moment. Totally and utterly numb. I've been this way since the ambulance came for us and on the ride to the hospital. Seeing Imran laying on the concrete ground with a pool of his blood surrounding us was a sight that shook me beyond my core. He risked his life to save mine, I kept on repeating that over and over again. And now because of me, he might lose his.

When we finally got to the hospital it finally sunk in what happened and I couldn't control myself anymore. I've never felt so guilty before in my whole life and that feeling only doubled when I saw his family rush into the hospital with horrified looks on their faces.

By the time my father and twin arrived I had barely anymore tears left to cry. Even though everyone told me that he would be fine and I shouldn't feel guilty, I still couldn't help but blame myself for everything. If I had been more careful instead of rush to my car, he wouldn't have have to push me out of the way. If I had saw that crazy maniac of a car coming sooner, he wouldn't be getting operated on.

But why? Why did he save me? Why did he risk his life for mine? How will I ever repay him for what he's done? I don't know but what I do know is that I'm not only feeling like this because of my guilt. In the short time I had been here, he was one of the people that I had met who stood out to me the most. I mean on the first time I went to campus he showed me where the building I needed to go to was even though his class was all the way across campus. When I saw him earlier it made me realize just how much I like him. I may have even liked him since the first day we met.

After a little while the doctor came and told us that Imran was out surgery and that we can visit him only two at a time. Uncle Malik and Aunt Safa went first, after them was dad, then Sumayah and Dunya. Even though I wanted to see him and know if he was okay myself, I still couldn't bring myself to get out of this chair. What right do I have? I'm the reason he's even lying there right now. I just continued to sit here as I fiddled with my blood stained hands, trying my best to distract myself. It doesn't feel like this is actually happening.

It feels like I am watching myself from afar and wondering at what point did life get so messed up. "Hey, why don't you go wash up and see Imran?" Sumayah asked suddenly. I must've been so wrapped up in my thoughts because I didn't notice her come back. "Not right now, later." I responded in a quiet tone, even surprising myself. I had been crying a lot earlier so I guess it strained my voice.

"Okay." She responded.

"Why don't we head back home for tonight and come back tomorrow? How does that sound?" Dad asked as he looked at me with worry.