CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: AND JUST LIKE THAT, EVERYTHING CHANGED ||SAHRA||

"My father and sister called after me but their voices began to sound more and more distant as I let my feet continue to hit the pavement." -Sahra Khan, SBC.

" -Sahra Khan, SBC

Chapter Eighteen:

And Just Like That, Everything Changed

☀️ Sahra Khan ☀️

My head was spinning as I was trying to process all of the information that was just given to me, but all I could really do was think of my mother and all of the pain she went through. How can her own father do that to her? How can he even sleep at night knowing all of the pain she had to endure because of him and his desire to protect his reputation. And how could her mother and brother just sit by and let all of that happen to her? I'm happy that Ahmed got her out of the horrible situation that she was forced into. Look at me, I can't even address the man as my dad...

Suddenly as Sumayah and I stepped out of the interrogation room, a mysterious man began to approach us. Something about this guy seemed oddly familiar, like I already knew him when in fact this the first time I've ever seen him...or so I thought.

"It's nice to see you guys again. The last time I saw you both together, you were babies." He stated.

What does he mean by that?

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I asked while crossing my arms over my chest. I am in no mood for this today. Too many unexpected, life changing things have been happening lately and I've had enough of it. "You were the guy who sat next to me on the plane. weren't you?" Sumayah said as realization hit her. The man nodded his head slowly and then took another step closer to us, I instinctually took one back.

"I'm Hussein. Your uncle, Priyanka was my elder sister."

That's when Ahmed stepped out of the room with the police officer and saw Hussein standing in front of us. "What the hell are you doing here!? Didn't I tell you to stay away from my family?" Ahmed shouted with full blown anger. "Listen to me, Ahmed. I'm here to protect the twins, not hurt them. That's all I ever wanted to do... Protect them and protect Priyanka. I'm not like Badri, okay? And I will never be like him. All I ever wanted for my sister was for her to be happy and be safe." Hussein tried to explain himself.

Ahmed didn't look like he was taking any of it.

"Protect her, huh?" He scoffed. "Were you protecting her when Rafiq continued to hit her every day? Were you protecting her when your father refused to let her get a divorce? Were you protecting her when he continued to pursue us like animals? Were you protecting her while we were forced to be apart so we could keep the twins safe? Were you..." He stopped for a moment as he blinked away the tears that were threatening to spill. "Were you protecting her while she was laying in her deathbed while my daughter had to see her die? Tell me, were you?"