Overnight

Jade-

After a week of not seeing Jake, Jade felt like he could finally function somewhat normally. His routine had fallen back into place, though he did take the time each day to text him or talk on the phone. He missed him, a whole lot, but he didn't want to keep repeating the mistakes he'd already made by rushing too quickly into whatever they were doing. 

What are we doing? He wondered as he thumbed through his text messages to Jake's new one. He'd gone through all of his work messages and emails before finally sitting down in his recliner and pulling up the one he really wanted to read. 

How was work? They're considering offering me full time already at the bowling alley. I'm excited but nervous. 

Jade found himself grinning as he thought through a response, then began typing. 

It went well. I've caught up on all of my work and meetings for earlier in the week. I'm glad you are doing well with your job,  and am proud of you. You work hard and deserve to get that full time position. 

He sent the message, then stretched out in the chair as he put the footrest up and clicked the television on. He rarely watched the device, but glancing at the news or having it on as background noise was pleasant once in a while. He closed his eyes and allowed his mind to rest as he waited for Jake to respond. Jade was eager to get the message, but as time went on, he realized that Jake must be busy. He knew that he wasn't working, as he'd asked for his schedule earlier in the week, but that didn't mean that Adam wasn't doing something with him. 

I made too good of a choice giving him to Adam. The guy has been spoiling the kid. 

He knew that Jake wasn't a child, but he had a naivety to him that most adults lost quite early in life. The idea that he had ever been so happy-go-lucky made his lips quirk up slightly. He couldn't remember a time. 

At least he guards him like a lion, though. 

His phone chimed again, drawing Jade's attention down to the small screen. He expected Jake's number and part of the preview message, but it was actually Adam's name that came up. 

Hello Jade, I need to go out of town for the evening, and most of tomorrow. Would you be willing to let Jake stay there until I can pick him up tomorrow night?

The message was a bit surprising, since they hadn't started off on the best foot, but Jade had been working hard to keep himself from causing Jake any further stress. They had both needed to take a step back, and it had worked quite well. Adam appreciated it as well, and he'd let him know with a quick phone call. Jade would think that Adam wasn't to the point where he was comfortable with them being together for a long period of time just yet, but if he couldn't find anyone else to look after him, Jade could understand. 

Of course, he could just leave Jake by himself at his place, but just the thought of it made Jade uneasy. The guy could take care of himself, but Adam had practically read Jade's mind considering what he would want to happen if he had to leave for an extended period of time. 

He is always welcome here. Please let him know before we decide on this arrangement, though. I don't want him to feel like he has to come here. 

His attention went back to the television for a moment after he sent he message, noting that the weather for later that night, along with the coming morning. Severe thunderstorm warning. Great. He was off the next day, kind of. He was on call, but he'd warned his office to not ask him to come in unless it was absolutely necessary. He would Skype them if they just needed to have a quick meeting.