Miscommunication

(So, Adam decided he didn't want to be a main now, so I'm gonna use him to tie things together better and get a few more detailed looks into Wren's life while tying everything up)

Tommy-

"You look horribly guilty of something." Tommy said as he stared across the table at Adam, who looked absolutely nothing like his normally-cool, collected self. His hair was a mess, as if he'd just woken up at six at night. His clothing was wrinkled, and his eyes were clearly bloodshot from lack of sleep. 

They'd all decided to get together for the night,   besides Domino who had to work, for some relaxation after Jana and Jake both had their midterms. They compared scores for the hell of it, and Jana ended up doing amazingly well in all things science, while Jake aced his English, history and art classes. 

Adam leaned back in his chair, only to flinch when his phone chimed with a text message from Wren. They knew that he'd set a specific tone for the kid, but Tommy knew that whatever was wrong had something to do with him now. 

"What happened with Wren, Adam?" Christopher asked, seemingly reading Tommy's mind. 

Jake's attention, which had previously been split between his meal and conversing with Jana and Jade, now immediately turned to Adam. 

"Wren? What's wrong with Wren?" He asked quickly, his former smile all but gone, replaced with an older brother's worry. 

Adam threw a glare at Christopher before heaving a sigh down at his untouched plate of steak and potatoes. He'd cooked them all a delicious dinner, but even after everyone was already well through half of their portion, he still hadn't even touched his.

"Nothing's wrong, really..." He mumbled, staring at his fork as if it might take away the awkwardness of the conversation if he shoved food into his mouth. 

"You're sitting across from two control freaks who excel at reading expressions, not to mention one is a doctor." Tommy reminded him with a raised eyebrow. 

Adam gave a chuckle at that and leaned back in his chair again. "As far as I know, there really isn't anything wrong, per say. It's just... awkward." He said, staring down at his lap for a moment before licking his lips and lifting his eyes back to the group, then cutting them over to Jake. 

When no one replied, Adam grabbed his phone from his pocket and read through the text message. A smile tilted the edges of his lips upward as he finished. "I don't think I can say it any better than he just did in this message, so I'll just read it aloud." 

"I think I'm going to confess to one of my friends on the track team. I'm sorry I surprised you with that kiss, I didn't mean to make things awkward. I was just so nervous that I wanted to try it before I did it with him." 

The look on everyone's face as Tommy glanced around the table were all about the same. Surprise, shock, confusion, and added onto Jake's, possible more worry? 

"Wait, my brother is going to confess to a guy? I haven't even met him! I don't want someone trying to trick him into something if he's not ready! I need to-" He was promptly silenced by Jade nudging a piece of steak between his lips with a grin. 

"It'll be alright, hun. He sounds very nervous, but also like he's been thinking things through enough to not walk into something he can't handle." 

Jake hurried to chew his food, then swallowed so that he could reply. "But if this his first time liking someone, and especially a high school boy... with hormones... and, and he's probably not ready to handle that. We should tell him not-" Another piece of steak found its way into his mouth, making him scowl at the same time Jade grinned. 

"You're adorable, hun, but I'm sure things will work out. Besides, he's been talking with Adam well over the past few weeks, and since he just told him such an important thing about himself, I think we can safely rely on Adam to at least be our ears on this matter." 

All eyes turned back to Adam, who lifted one shoulder in a half shrug. "I don't mind relaying information, you guys know that. It was just... really awkward when he kissed my cheek and I didn't want anyone to think that I was coming onto him or something." 

Looking sideways at Christopher, Tommy noticed the grin the man was trying to hide as he finished the last of his food. "I think Adam just unleashed big brother mode in Jake." He whispered to Chris, earning that smile he'd been trying to clearly hide. 

The rest of the meal went on quietly, with few questions placed here and there. Jana was surprisingly the most active talker, though he wasn't the nicest. He didn't like Wren very much, but not because of his status as his true brother's foster brother. It looked like he'd taken Jake's worry for Wren and tried to turn it around and use it himself. So while Jade was hesitant to let Jake interfere too much with his little brother's possible new love life, Jana was also unhappy with his own little brother possibly getting into a situation that would cause him to get upset. 

It wasn't exactly how the big brother, little brother thing, was supposed to work, but it seemed cute and harmless with the pair. Perhaps Jana will grow to like Wren if Jacob ever decides to try a meeting with them. 

Tommy had to admit, Jake and Jana had come a long way since they'd first met, and Jana was a million times more sociable and in general, manageable, since the first time he'd been assigned to him. He was almost like a whole new man, besides his still prominent personality quarks that made him who he was. 

"Want to get going, Tommy?" Christopher asked as he slowly scooted away from the table and stood. You never really ask, you know that? So bossy...

Grinning, Tommy wheeled his chair backward away from the table. "I suppose." He said with a fake sigh before looking up at the group. "Thanks for having us, and thanks for the delicious meal and keeping us updated with Wren, Adam." 

Adam nodded as he finally started picking at his food. When the rest of the group had said their goodbyes, they headed out to Chris's car. It took a while to get the wheelchair folded into the back, then himself situated in the front, but when Christopher finally shut the door and looked over at him with a cocky smirk, Tommy couldn't hold himself back any longer. 

"God dammit my ass hurts!" 

He wouldn't have needed the darn wheelchair anymore if Christopher hadn't gotten to him the second he'd gotten home from an early shift at work. He'd been tired and in desperate need of a shower after having broken up an idiotic food fight in the prison cafeteria. He'd gotten cleaned up, eventually, after all of the hot water had run out. 

"I'm a doctor, I'm sure I could help you with that." Christopher stated, his words dripping with an ego that Tommy had mistakenly unleashed the first night they'd slept together. 

Turning his head on the headrest to glare at his boyfriend, Tommy blew out a breath and rolled his eyes. "You've already helped enough. And I'm pretty sure doctors aren't supposed to make the condition, then offer to help you fix it while smirking as if they know that they have no intention of doing anything but unfixing it more." He stated grumpily. 

"Unfixing. Hm. I'm going to have to use that on my next medical report. I'm sorry sir, but inmate number fifty is unfixing what I'm trying to help him heal by picking at the bandages, you should probably get him to stop that." 

"Smart mouth." Tommy mumbled as he turned to look out the window. 

He felt the car slow at a red light, then strong fingers gripped his chin and turned him back to face a grinning Christopher who pecked him on the lips gently. "Love you, baby." 

Tommy gave him his best pout, then licked Chris's thumb placed near his lips and grinned. "I guess I kinda love you, too."