Halo

Jake-

No matter how hard Jade tried to meet with Wren, Adam refused to set them up together. He had barely entertained the idea with a few moments of thought before declining it outright. After three more phone calls, he still refused to even give Jade Wren's number. It was frustrating, to say the least, to see both his friend and his new boyfriend, nearly fighting over the situation. 

"Adam, please give some kind of answer as to why Jade can't meet Wren. He promised that he wouldn't bother him if he didn't want to talk. All he wants to do is meet him face to face." Jake said as he leaned against the armrest of the sofa, watching Adam finish his meal on the recliner. 

The TV was on but the volume was barely audible, allowing them to speak with the news as background noise. When Adam just sighed, Jake copied the action and flopped down to rest on the couch, figuring that he wasn't going to be getting an answer, again. 

"Because, Jake, adding more people to a situation that's already unstable will just cause you to lose any chance you have of getting your little brother back. There's something going on that's terrifying him. Do you honestly think that letting someone as power sensitive as Jade near him right now, would be a good idea?" 

Looking down at his lap, Jake shook his head. He knew that it would be an issue in and of itself, but he always felt that if someone was willing to help, why not let them at least try? 

"Look. You're a sweet kid and you don't deserve what you've had to go through. I understand that you want your brother back, or at least on talking terms, but you need to give me a chance to help him, alone. He's just starting to respond to me more often. If we throw Jade into the situation, he's likely to withdraw completely and that would be the end of it." 

Yeah... I know. 

Adam was about to continue speaking when his phone suddenly began to ring. Without looking at the screen, he answered it with a calm "Hello?" 

There was silence for a moment before Adam's face changed into one of shock as he stared at Jake. What's going on? "Of course. Where would you like to hang out?" Adam asked in an upbeat tone, making Jake's jaw drop. 

The man rarely hung out or called anyone besides works, him or Jade, and Jake couldn't think that Adam would want to hang out after coming in from a work meeting an hour ago. When he hung up the phone, Adam got up and rinsed his plate in the kitchen, then came around to grab his jacket. 

"Wren wants to meet me." 

Jake jumped up, realizing that he couldn't come before he even straightened. 

"I'm sorry, Jake. I'm trying to help." Adam said as he walked over, squeezing him in a strong hug before stepping back with his hands on his shoulders and a warm smile on his face. "I promise I'm trying as hard as I can to get him back to you." 

Nodding, Jake returned the smile, though it took some effort. "Let me know how things went when you come home?" He asked, earning a pat on the head from Adam. 

"Of course. I'm sure I won't be gone too long, then I'll make us some dinner, okay?" 

Jake followed him to the door as he replied. "Alright. The chicken should be almost done defrosting?" He asked, earning a nod from Adam. 

"That'll work. I'll think of something to make with it." Adam said before stepping out the door. 

Jake locked it behind him, then turned and leaned against the sturdy frame. He was upset that he couldn't go. He wanted to be the one to break through his brother's worries or fears. He wanted to be his older brother like he used to be a long time ago.