Chapter 23

A/N: I'm updating on mobile, so I apologize if there's grammatical errors or if the layout of this chapter is wonky. Thank you so much for the kind comments! It really does make my day, and it makes working on this story that much better!

I hope you enjoy chapter 23!

----

It all happened so fast, Sirius couldn't really process it. One moment Clara was in his arms, hands resting on her curves, the ones that were usually hidden by her school robes (the ones that drove him crazy when they weren't), as she peered into his eyes while he was practically drowning in hers. He remembers fussing over her health. Her breath fanning over his lips, and her hand on his jaw and oh my god is that a sunburn on her nose that's fucking adorable. He was probably looking at her in a way that might have given everything away, but he could care less because she was looking at him as if he was the only one she really wanted to see and it was then that he knew - he knew - that he was a goner for the short, blue-eyed girl he'd been tip-toeing around for so long.

It ended just as fast as it started, because she said she couldn't stay, that she was only there to say goodbye. That she was getting engaged (married, for fucks sake). At first, Sirius held onto his doubt, thinking that there was no way Clara could ever agree to that. But he saw Clara's flush and indignation at Lily's abrupt confession, and then the bags under her eyes, and the way her shoulders were held taut, and he wasn't so sure anymore. Then his mind started reeling, connecting the dots slowly; it reeled long enough for the anger to settle in. And the panic. (And a little bit of hurt because they're supposed to be friends-).

As the climate inside of him changed, Clara changed with it to match his frenzy with her own calmness, clasping his hand to firmly state, "I'll be fine," before letting go - something hard dropping into his hand - and allowing the man with her trunk to escort her back to her father. Joseph Campbell, stood rigid across the platform. He alternated between glaring at Sirius with his cold eyes and staring Clara down, his gaze harsh enough to cause her to lower her head. The fire in his stomach grew hotter, enough to propel him towards his direction. He would've picked a fight too, if it weren't for Evans reaching out and grabbing the back of his leather jacket to pull him back.

"Evans," He said through his teeth. "he's right there, we can get her out of there,"

The redhead's grip tightened on his shirt. "I know, but it might just makes things worse -" Clara clasped her father's outstretched arm, and Sirius reacted. "No, Sirius, just listen to me!", and just like that, Clara disappeared from the platform.

Silence.

Sirius let out a frustrated groan, and ran his hand through his hair. "She was right there!" He repeated, whirling around to face Lily, eyes reflecting the desperation inside him.

Lily let go of his jacket. "I know, but she's not seventeen yet, Sirius! She's still Traceable." She snapped, her own eyes alert.

Sirius clenched his jaw in realization, and opted to open his palm instead of replying. A round, metallic object lay in his hand, reflecting light as he shifted it's angle to examine it.

"What's that?" Lily inquired, moving closer to peer at the object too.

"I don't know, Clara gave it to me before she left," He said dejectedly, letting her take it from him.

She flipped it around in her hand. "I think... this is a mirror,"

Sirius stared. "I don't see a mirror anywhere on that,"