The Quiet Kind Of Beauty -Marauder Era

Clara Campbell sat in her seat at the back of the Transfiguration classroom, her quill scribbling furiously. Beside her sat one of her best friends, Sirius Black, who had his feet propped up on the desk. Clara lifted her eyes from her parchment and lightly nudged Sirius' legs. His stormy grey eyes opened in surprise as he looked at her, his eyebrows high. Clara looked anxiously at Professor McGonagall, who's back was facing the class and muttered through the side of her mouth, "Get your feet off of the desk, Sirius."

Sirius looked at her, amused. Clara was always fretting over proper behaviour. 'Sirius pay attention.' or, 'Sirius keep your feet off the table!' He smirked and ignored her request. Clara glared at him lightly, her bright blue eyes sharp. Sirius just grinned cheekily.

Compared to Sirius, Clara had proper posture. Her back is always straight, chin held high, and her shoulders back. Living in one of the oldest Pureblood families for seventeen years does that to you. Clara sighed, Sirius was stubborn. This boy will be the death of me, she thought to herself. Giving up, she turned away from him.

"Examinations will begin in a month from now, I'd advise you start revising your notes if you haven't already." McGonagall was saying, "these exams are not easily passed." Clara's stomach stirred anxiously. She was already worried and McGonagall's speech didn't help.

The bell rang and there was a loud screeching of chairs being scraped backwards. Clara sighed with relief as she stood up, stuffing her parchment into her bag. Together, she and Sirius escaped the boiling classroom and made their way to the courtyard, where they sat under the shade of a tree.

"I'm telling you, Sirius, you need to start paying attention in class." Clara scolded, leaning back against the tree trunk.

"Oh come on, Clara," Sirius laughed, lightly bumping her shoulder with his, "Live a little." Clara rolled her eyes. Sirius perked up suddenly.

"You should come to James' house with us this summer!" He exclaimed. Clara stiffened.

"My parents would never allow that, Sirius. You know that." She said almost immediately.

This was true, and Sirius knew it. The Black's and the Campbell's were old family friends, so he had met her family in the summer before their fourth year. The Campbell's were exactly like the Black's. Believing that Muggles and Muggleborns are filth and that they're staining the wizarding world's image. In other words, pureblood maniac.

"I still don't know why you're still there." Sirius said quietly, laying down in the grass.

"You're well-aware of why I'm still there," She rebounded.

Sirius sighed, "But you don't have too, you're seventeen and of age,"

"Almost seventeen," She countered, "July twenty-fifth, remember?"

"Clara, no one would dare to touch you once you're under the Potters roof,"

"They'd hunt me down within seconds," Clara whispered, "I wouldn't make it five miles if I ran away. I don't stand a chance," Sirius sighed again and closed his eyes. He hated the way the Campbell's treated Clara. It was like how Sirius' family had treated him before he was disowned when he was sixteen. Like a piece of garbage, but knowing the Campbell's strict nature, it was probably worse.

"I could help you. We all could." Sirius said softly.

"Sirius, we've been over this a million times. You're not doing that, it's to dangerous." Clara intervened as she spotted James, his girlfriend Lily, an Remus making their way towards the two. Sirius rolled onto his side, surveying Clara's face carefully. Long, curly brown hair, sparkling blue eyes, a small nose, and a peculiar mark right under her ear in the shape of a paint splatter. Though Sirius knew she never really thought herself as beautiful, or even pretty, he still thought that she was goregous.

As Lily and the others approached, the first thing she noticed was the way Sirius was looking at Clara. His grey eyes traced over her face, a small smile tugging on the corners of his lips. Lily paused and nudged James, who looked at her. She nodded her head towards the two, a smirk pulled on his lips.

"Hello, Padfoot! Clara!" James greeted enthusiastically, wedging himself between them.

"Prongs," Sirius said, a slight edge to his voice. He glared at his best mate. James grinned cheekily, winking. Sirius rolled his eyes, but a small smile replaced his glare. He looked at Clara again. She was deep in thought and had a troubled expression on her face. Furrowing his eyebrows, Sirius began to think; What was she so disturbed by?

"Hello, Clara." Remus and Lily chorused, taking a seat beside her. Clara smiled, forcing herself out of her thoughts.

"Hey Lily, Remus." She waved, and smiled halfheartedly. Her thoughts went back to what the consequences would be if she did try to run away but her family found her. Would they lock me up and starve me? Or would they disown me? She thought. The worst possible thing that they could do is use the Cruciatus Curse on me. And Clara knew that there would be no hesitation if it came to that. The thought swirled around in her head like a whirlpool, setting off a wave of nausea.

Lily snapped her fingers in front of Clara's face. Clara shook her head, eyes wide.

"Are you alright? You're as white as a sheet!" Lily said worriedly, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"O-Of course, Lily. Why wouldn't I be?" Clara said, nodding her head. Lily could see Clara's body shaking slightly. Apparently Sirius noticed too and was by her side in an instant.

"You're shaking." He said softly.

"I, um," Clara stuttered, standing up quickly, "I have to go. I said I would meet Professor Slughorn for a little extra creidt. Sorry!" She lied, picking up her bag and fled from the others quickly, leaving them confused and befuddled.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Remus asked, staring after her.

"I'll go check on her." Sirius muttered, standing up also. "See you later guys." They muttered their goodbyes and he jogged after Clara. He could still see her in the distance. As they entered them castle, he lost sight of her. He sighed sighed and began wandering the halls. Sirius found Clara leaning against the wall with her eyes closed. They opened when she heard his footsteps.

"Are you alright?" Sirius asked. Clara sighed deeply and nodded.

"You don't look like you are, though," He observed.

"I'm just not feeling to well," When Clara spoke her tone surprised Sirius; quiet and slightly raspy. "It's probably because I'm nervous about the exams coming up." Clara lied. Sirius stood beside her, sighing.

"You're lying." He said knowingly.

"Sirius," Clara said softly, "can you tell me something?"

Sirius smiled, she was opening up.

"Of course."

"If I do run away, where would I go? I can't go to my relatives houses." Something in Sirius' brain clicked and he immediately understood.

"I'll-- We'll take you to the Potter's." Sirius covered up his mistake. "Clara, you know I'm always here. I'm going to help you."