Chapter 13

As Joseph steered Clara towards the man, she realized that he wasn't exactly a "man" at all. He was around her age, maybe a year older than her, and had dirty blond hair that had been combed and neatly parted to the side, and was sitting in a slouching, yet oddly graceful position. As Clara slowed to a stop in front of him, her back rigid under her father's touch, she saw that he had eyes the colour of russet, and a jawline sharp enough to cut through glass. She had to admit to herself, she was attracted to his looks. But, she had to remind herself, looks could be deceiving.

"Daniel, this is my daughter Clara," Joseph introduced, suddenly tuning into a warm voice. "Clara, this is Daniel Lewis."

Daniel looked up and rose to his feet with ease, a drop dead gorgeous smile painted onto his face. "Hello, Clara," He greeted kindly, sticking his hand out for her to shake. Clara took his hand gently and was surprised when his hands were rough. She let go, maybe a little too quickly. If Daniel noticed, he didn't show it.

"I should be going now," Joseph announced, letting his hand slip from Clara's shoulder. "I've got an important meeting with the ministry. Daniel," He held his hand out, and Daniel took it, shaking it twice, "It was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Campbell." Daniel said, a light smile on his face. To her surprise, Joseph looked impressed.

They dropped hands, and Joseph turned towards Clara. "Now, Clara, behave." Was all he said to her. Clara's cheeks reddened; part of embarrassment, part from anger. She had been told to behave as if she was an irresponsible three-year old.

"I'm not three," She mumbled under her breath, and immediately regretted them. Joseph's eyes hardened, and from the look on his face, she would be reprimanded for it later.

He opened to say something, but seemed to remember that Daniel was there too. With a painted smile, he nodded and apparated out of the Three Broomsticks. The moment he left, Clara allowed herself to relax.

"He's a pleasant man." Daniel perceived.

Clara rolled her eyes inwardly. "Yes, he's real pleasant," She muttered sarcastically.

Her comment slid past Daniel, who stepped behind one of the chairs and pulled it back for her. Taken back, Clara stared at him for a second before slipping into the seat. "Thank you," She murmured slowly, keeping her confused eyes on the table in front of her.

He smiled widely, flashing her a glimpse of his straight teeth. "Don't mention it, love," He sat down on the other at of the table, looking excited. "I ordered us some drinks," He said. "Do you like iced butterbeer?"

"It's good," Clara mumbled.

"That's great." Despite her behaviour, he seemed to be actually trying to make an effort to impress her. He could be acting, Clara assumed, this could all be an act.

A slight awkward silence passed before he spoke up again. "After our drink, I was thinking that maybe we could take a walk around Hogsmeade?" He told her, "If you want to, that is,"

Damn, he's a good actor.

Clara smiled softly. "I think it's a great idea." She agreed. A waiter stopped at their table and softly placed their drinks in front of them. Clara wrapped her hands around her cup, letting her hands cool off before she rose the cup to her lips. She took a sip and shivered slightly.

"So, Daniel," She began, setting her cup down on the table again. If he was giving this date a shot, she should at least attempt to get to know him as well. "If we're going to do this, you're going to have to tell me about yourself." She tried, forcing her voice to above a whisper.