Tim Hortons

I woke up cranky and cramped. My head had ended up half way off the couch, nearly touching the floor.

I groggily looked around for my phone, finding it on the ground and picked it up. But cursed when I realized it had died throughout the night.

I sat up right away, fixing myself before looking at the stove clock. Only to curse again when I realized it was five past eight and I was no where near ready to go to work.

Quickly I sat up rushing to the bathroom and brushing my teeth. It wasn't a big bathroom, maybe enough room for two people if one sat on the toilet. But it worked for it's worth and it had a deep tub.

And I was a man who loved a deep tub.

I brushed my teeth as fast as I could fixing my hair with my free hand, opting for a down due today seeing as I really had no choice. I ran to my room throwing on a clean shirt, leaving the black jeans I had on yesterday.

Grabbing my phone I knew I could charge it in my car, plus the extra charger I left at work.  With that in mind I rushed to the kitchen, grabbed my keys off the table and ran outside.

Jumping in the car at eight thirteen I knew my luck in seeing Clay was slim to none

Turning on the AM radio I mulled over the fact that it's only Tuesday. I passed the Tim Hortons  that was a block up from my house and there he was. The big red ford stopped in the line up. Of course I couldn't be sure it was him. But who else could it be?

The urge to pull in behind him was so strong that I found myself turning around in the parking lot beside the coffee shop and hauling my car into the drive-thru.

I was one car behind him. I could see him in his driver side mirror. He was calm, looking ahead of him , one arm out of the window and one hand on the wheel. He looked beside him moving his mouth with unheard words. It was that moment I realized that someone was sitting beside him, the man from the gas station.

I couldn't see his features well from where I sat. But I could tell from the dark hair on his head and  the withe of his shoulders who he was.

We waited in the lane for about five minutes until they got there order, two coffee cups and a bag with food inside of it.  I got a bagel with ice tea but didn't eat it.

And maybe I was just seeing things, maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. But I could have sworn I saw Clay look back st as he took a turn to drive away and smile.