Fucked

It wasn't until Clayton was driving me home that he asked me what was wrong. I'll admit, maybe I was being a tad childish. Who believes the words of a strange man in a public bathroom?

But I couldn't help it. Something about what he said hit me, made me really think about what I was doing.  My hands were in my lap, or beside my mouth for the rest of the night. I was nervous and anxious to leave. Finally, after the second game ended Amanda said she was tired and we all parted ways.

So here we are, on our way home in an awkward car ride while I look out the window and contemplate how much it would hurt jumping from a car going 80km a hour.

"Gabe, is something wrong?" His hand was on mine, squeezing it tightly before I moved it to wipe a non-existing hair from my forehead.

"It's nothing." I mumbled. "I just don't drink a lot, I think the beer got to me."

Clayton just nodded, the hand that held mine moved back to the wheel and we lapped into another bit of silence.

Before we parked outside my house I already had my hand on the handle to leave. Ready to bolt as soon as the car stopped. What I wasn't ready for was Clayton to step outside as well. His larger figure making itself known as he stood up from the short car. I walked around and stood with him, looking at the front of the one floor home that was on top of mine. White planning and two large windows dressed the home, the curtains closed as the sky twinkled with cars, a large body of water known as Hubert's Harbor shined in the background.

"Listen, Gabe." Clayton started when I looked at him. "I had a great time. And for the most part it seemed like you did to. I want us to go out again. I'm going to text you tomorrow, and if you want to see me again, text me back. If not, I wont judge, sure it'll sting for a bit. But I'll understand."

I don't know why I did it. I don't know when I became that brave. But in that moment, with his brows knitted together, a look that I could only describe as a puppy dog pout on his face. 

I leaned up. And pressed my lips to his.

And in that moment, I knew I was fucked.