Cold

"A party?" Clayton asked as we walked side by side around the dry pond that sat behind my backyard. The sun had long set so the lush green grass around us was a pale and tinted into dark greens and blacks. Lamp post shined around us at every bench but we just walked, both wanting a breath of fresh, crisp air.

"Not really a party per-say. More of a get together, my brothers and my parents. Richie and Amanda if you'd like. Mom likes to think of herself as a Martha Stewart when really shes a Lois Griffin.

"Sure, I'm dying to meet your brothers and see if they look as much like you as you say." Clayton joked, a smile of his face, hands deep into his coat pockets to fight away the cold air that was turning both of our noses red.

Clayton stopped walking, I sat behind him, rubbing my hands on my thighs, not just for the warmth, but to keep my nerves at bay.

"Why didn't you answer?" Clayton asked after a few minutes. I looked over at him, his eyes shined as the light from above hit him, his whole profile a tint of yellow. He wasn't looking at me, into the distance. He could be looking at anything. The trees along side the school building up ahead, the large hill that served as a great place for kids to sled in the winter, or for couples to sit and have picnics during the summer and spring time.

"I'm sorry. I just, I got scared. I acted stupid. You're just so nice, and-"

"Actually, don' worry about it. Listen. I get it, I do. Let's get through this party.  If it's good, then it's good. If it's not. Then we go are separate ways and both agree we had fun together and we can still be friends who just Facebook stalk each other from time to time."

"Ok." I agree, nodding my head, I was going to get ready to get up when Clayton's hand grabbed my own.

And so we sat there. In the cold, looking into the distance and just enjoying each others company.

Because after Saturday, it may not happen again.