The Brown Journal

Booth and Cam got to Sweet's apartment within a few minutes. When they opened it, Zach, and Hodgins, opened the door, and Booth saw papers and journels spread in a circle. It stood to reason that they had been reading them, avidly, from the looks of it.

"What's up?" Hodgins asked, placing an innocent smile on his face.

"What did you do?" Cam asked bluntly. Hodgins's eyes widened into saucers.

"Me? Do anything? I am offended, Cam. Totally and utterly..."

"We were reading through some of Dr. Sweet's personal journals. I would just like to inform you that I did not decide to do this, it was Dr. Hodgin's idea. I was opposed to it." 

"It is okay, Zach." Hodgins said, sighing exsasperated. "Sweets TOLD us were to find the journals. If he did not want us to read them, why would he have told us were to FIND THEM?" He asked, raising his voice on the last two words. Cam and Booth watched the scene unfold, staring. It was obvious that this had been a very persistent argument while there were here.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. Don't worry, Zach, I am quite certain that you are not going to get into trouble for reading some of Sweets journals, especially if he told you were to find them." Zach shook his head. No offence, Agent Booth, but I doubt it. There were some, very personal things in those journals." Booth's eyebrows furrowed. That did not sound good. That sounded like they had happened upon something very very bad. 

"Zach..." Booth stared, but he never got to finish. 

"I will give you the journal, and you can read it if you like, but be warned, there are some things about you."

"Me?" Booth asked, pointing his finger towards himself. Why would Sweets be writing about him in his personal journals. 

"Yes, you. Now, if you will excuse us, we shall leave the 'digging' for information, to the two of you. It is late, and we need to get home." Zach said, not missing a beat. He stood from the floor, grabbing a worn brown leather bound journal, and thrusting it into Booth's hands. 

"Here." He said curtly, before turning and walking away. Hodgins sighed.

"Don't worry about him, I think he is a bit...perturbed over some of the things in Sweets' Journal is all." 

"Dr. Hodgins if you would..."

"Yeah sure.." Hodgins said, waving a dismissive hand at Cam's half sentence. "I will go talk with him. He will be as good as new in the morning. Promise." He said. "Now, if you do not mind, Zach's right, it is really late. I mean, we have been here for hours, and some of those things...I may just have nightmares. Read at your own risk." He said. And with those final words of wisdom, the great Doctor Hodgins left the room, closing the apartment door behind him. Booth looked around at the totally bare apartment. 

Sweets, Booth noted, was still sleeping, seemingly peacefully, in his own bedroom, in his bed, thought the door was open. Doing a quick check, Cam reported that his vitals seemed to be in perfect order. Booth seemed visibly relieved at that, before turning and going into the kitchen. Apparently it had not been used in...well, ever. Hell, the microwave had the shopping sticker still on it. 

Booth whislted low when he realized that the television had gathered dust on the screen, of several layers.

"Jeeze, what does he do here?" He asked to no one in particular. All the dvd cases had a thin layer of dust covering them, but the books were well worn, and well used, especially the Psychology ones, naturally. Booth shook his head. He knew the kid worked a lot, but it looked as if the place had been abandoned for months, instead of a day. Something was wrong with this picture.

"It was worse when we got here." Booth started at the sound, only to find Hodgins standing at the door. 

"I thought that you were going home?" Cam said voice coming from the kitchen, obviously fixing up something relatively edible. 

"I was, forgot my keys. But, hoo hoo hoo, man you should have SEEN the place when we first walked in."

"I do not think it can get much worse than this." Booth said confidently.

"No, dude, seriously." Hodgins pulled out his phone, and scrolled through it for a moment. Without a second thought Booth pulled out his phone, realizing he got a text. Frowning, when he realized it was from Hogdins, he clicked the message signal, and saw a couple of photos. 

"What is this?" He asked.

"This place. This very room actually." Hodgins paused with consideration. "The place was covered in files, and papers, and pens and half written articles and essays. It looked like the room of an exhausted college kid getting ready for finals. Seriously." Hodgins shook his head in despair. "I was going to have Gorden take a look at it, and ask if it was normal for a Psychiatrists house to look like that, but I do not have his number." Booth just shook his head, surprised at the mess. Sweets was always clean, and organized. Seeing that his house had been in such complete disarray, it was, unreal, almost.

"Ah, don't worry about it, I'll show it to him later. He is coming over around midnight to check on Sweets anyways.

"Alright, see you guys tomorrow."

"Yea, we will." 

"Have a good night Sweets." Booth sighed as Hodgins left. He flipped the journal around in his hands. The edges were worn, recently it looked like. He flicked to the first page.

Property of Lancelot Sweets, 

Please, if found, do not read, for it contains very incriminating information, and dangerous to those who dare to read it. Send the FBI office for safekeeping, or give to a police officer, and tell them to give to the FBI, either way, get. rid. of it. You may just be arrested for having this book in your possession without good cause. A reward for it's recovery will be given in exchange for your trouble. Many thanks, 

Lancelot.

Booth let out a sigh of uncertainty. If what Zach had said was true, this journal could give him a greater understanding of their resident Psychologist, but for some reason Booth was hesitant. After all, this was the kid's deepest thoughts.

With a second of slight hesitation, Booth sat down, and opened to the next page.