Chapter 12 - Kidnapped

Early the next morning, the three brothers set out. They were alert, ready for any signs of trouble. They walked at a comfortable pace, Li and Jin flanking their younger 'sister'. The minute they left home, all slipped into character. They were professional enough not to make the mistake of joking around when on a job.

They walked all morning, chattering loudly. Anyone and everyone who passed them heard that they were on their way to the next town and would be using the forest route. They planned to reach the edge of the Silent Forest that evening and set-up camp there for the night. They would enter the forest proper the next day.

The three brothers reached their destination in the evening. Quickly, they found a suitable clearing to rest for the night.

"Let's rest here, it's a good place. There is a stream nearby, I'll get some water and fill up our waterbags."

"Okay Li. Xuehua, get the rations. I will set up camp and start a fire."

"Yes brother," the 'girl' bobbed her head as she reached for the provisions.

When Li returned with the water, the girl started cooking a simple broth. The two men set-up camp and settled to wait for dinner.

To anyone watching, it was a typical scenario, two elder brothers protecting their younger sister whilst she cooked for them.

"Stay alert," Li muttered under his breath.

The other two nodded. They did not really expect to be attacked so soon, but it was better to be prepared. They were officially working on a mission.

"I'll take first watch. Jin you get some rest. I'll wake you up when it's your turn."

The night passed peacefully without any incidents. The two brothers took turns standing guard. The next day they set off again.

The Silent Forest sprawled covering a large area. It was so large that several towns bordered along its edges. It was a source of income for fruit gatherers and hunters. The forest was teeming with wild life. Hunters hunted the animals for their meat, pelts and fur.

Routes connecting the towns were formed for trade and visiting. The forest became a popular shortcut. However, it was also a dangerous place. People were advised to travel through it in groups. Bandits and thieves were known to take the opportunity and cover of the foliage to rob people.

On the third day of travelling, the trio were deep in the forest. Dusk was approaching and they were about to search for a suitable place to stop for the night when they were suddenly surrounded by burly masked men. The kidnappers had taken the bait.

Jin frowned. They attacked at dusk so that anyone chasing them would have to give up when night fell. They were more familiar with the forest than the travellers. He did not like the situation.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

"Who are you? What do you want?" Li asked the masked men bravely.

He and Jin took up protective positions, swords unsheathed. They kept the helpless girl in between them.

"Nothing much young man, we only want that pretty little girl there."

"No, that's my sister!"

"If you don't hand her over, we will take her by force."

Li didn't waste any more time, he charged the masked man in front of him. At his attack, the others rushed in. Jin went into action, blocking and slashing at anyone who tried to get near.

One man managed to grab the girl but she stomped on his foot and screamed piercingly into his ear. He let go hastily, shaking his head, half deaf.

"Xuehua!" Jin yelled searching for the girl. "Get away from her!"

Li and Jin were hard pressed, each were defending against two or more men. There were so many of them. The two brothers were outnumbered but they did their best to protect their sister. However, they were soon defeated.

The leader of the kidnappers kicked away their fallen weapons. The two brothers were forced roughly onto their knees, held down by some men. Li was supporting Jin who was holding a wounded arm. They were breathing hard. Both looked defeated and scared.

Two men held the feisty girl who seemed to have lost her fight when she saw her brothers overpowered. She looked desperately at them.

"Now go or we will be forced to kill you. We only want the girl."

"No, no ... help!" The poor girl was frightened. She started crying.

They looked back at her helplessly. She started struggling trying to go to her brothers. A resounding slap echoed in the forest as one of the men who had been holding her smacked her hard across her face.

"Xuehua!" the brothers yelled as one. Li started to stand but was pushed back roughly onto his knees.

The girl screamed and fell onto the ground in shock. When she looked up holding her reddening cheek, there was blood dribbling from her lips.

Before the two brothers could protest, they were hit from behind. They fell senseless to the forest floor. The girl called for her brothers as she was dragged away.

----------------------------------------------------

The two fighters lay motionless on the ground. When they were sure the kidnappers were out of sight, they got up. They moved away to a sheltered spot and made camp.

"They took the bait," Jin grinned.

"How could they resist, there were only three of us. You okay? How is your arm?"

"Just a scratch. How's your head?"

"I'll be okay, I've endured worse. I thought you were seriously hurt the way you were grimacing in pain. You looked really bad."

"I've improved on my acting skills but oh my god ... I almost died when Xue started crying," Jin laughed.

Li smiled broadly, "That kid astounds me sometimes. He takes his roles so seriously sometimes." Then he sobered. "I hope he doesn't get carried away with the disguise and do something to jeopardise the mission. He should keep his priorities right. The mission comes first."

"He will, don't worry. He'll come through."

The brothers ate in silence. They had put up a fight for the benefit of the kidnappers. They could have easily beaten them but the plan was to let them take Xuelei/Xuehua. It went against every fibre of their being to fight so sloppily and pretend to lose but it had to be done for the next part of the plan.

"You know, there's something odd about those kidnappers."

"You felt it too? I thought I was the only one."

"They were too disciplined."

"They didn't kill us when they had the chance."

"One of them actually hit Xuelei. He's hurt. There was blood."

"Something's wrong. I know it."

They exchanged worried glances. They had not expected the kidnappers to hurt any of the girls they took, it might decrease their selling price. That man had hit Xuelei hard, and in the face too. Wasn't the face supposed to be one of the selling points? A disfigured or hurt girl would not fetch a good price. On the other hand, a beautiful healthy one would get a premium. It didn't fit.

"Do you think he will be okay?" Jin asked quietly.

Li frowned. "He is tougher then he looks. He has survived many situations."

"I hope so. It's not going to be as easy as we thought."

"He has improved a lot. He knows how to take care of himself."

"He'd better."