Chapter 23 - Lay Manor

When Jin and Xuelei reached the main gates of the Lay manor, they stopped. The pair of uniformed guards at the gates snapped smartly to attention. A lone guard came forward to inquire their business.

Jin dismounted. "Sir, please tell Miss Lay Ting Ting that her friend XueHua has arrived."

The guard glanced at Jin and Xuelei who was still on his horse, gave a smart salute and told them to wait. He disappeared through the doors.

"Xuehua! Xuehua! You're here! I've missed you!" Ting Ting came running out. She was dressed in bright yellow chiffon and gauze. Blue trimmings gave detail to her lovely rich outfit. The bright colours suited her sunny and bubbly personality. She was followed by the guard and her two elder brothers.

Xuelei smiled. He had dismounted and stood next to Jin. Jin gave a fist palm salute to their hosts.

Ting Ting rushed past Jin to hug Xuelei, making Jin laugh merrily. Her brothers shook their heads at their sister's unladylike behaviour and returned Jin's proper greeting with salutes of their own.

"Please, forgive our sister's discourtesy. She is too excited to see her friend. I am Lay Ting Hua and this is my brother Lay Ting Kai. We are honoured to meet you."

"Thank you, I am Jin and this is my sister XueHua."

The younger man stepped forward, "Welcome. Please, come in." His eyes were on Xuelei. What a pretty girl. She looked so gentle and delicate. Ting Kai smiled in welcome, captivated by this beauty.

"Thank you." Jin smiled and turned to Xuelei.

"Come, sister."

Ting Ting had captured Xuelei's arm and held him possessively. He winced.

"Oh! What's wrong? Your arm! It's not healed yet, I'm sorry!"

Xuelei smiled reassuringly at Ting Ting but Jin went to his 'sister' looking worried. "Please, if we could go in. My sister needs to rest after travelling, she still hasn't fully recovered from her ordeal yet."

"I'm fine, Jin," Xuelei said in a soft melodic voice.

Sigh. Even her voice was beautiful, Lay Ting Kai's heart beat faster in his chest and a dreamy smile appeared on his lips.

"Ting Ting! Let her go, you're hurting her!" Ting Kai hissed at his sister. "I apologise on my sister's behalf. We usually treat our guests better than this," he glared at his sister as he took the reins of both horses and ushered them in.

Lay Ting Hua, being the eldest smiled apologetically and quickly took over. "Please, follow me." He led the way in.

Jin took his sister's hand and guided her into the Lay mansion. Ting Ting followed, eyes cast down by her brother's reprimand.

"It's okay Ting Ting, we can talk later." Xuelei's soft voice pierced through her gloom cheering her up. She was almost back to her bubbly self when they reach the main hall.

Minister Lay was not at home but the guests were greeted by the Lady of the house. She was dressed in an elegant green gown. It was heavily embroidered with flower patterns. Her thick greying hair was also adorned with glittering beaded pins, they swung gently with her every movement. It was clear where Ting Ting got her looks from.

Lady Lay smiled when the group entered and bowed to her in greeting.

"Mother, may I present Jin and XueHua from the Assassin's Sect," Ting Ting announced.

Ting Hua and Ting Kai's hands immediately grasped the hilts of their swords. Assassin's Sect! They had not been aware that the rescuers were from the foul group of outcasts. No one invited members of the Assassin's Sect into their home or welcomed them anywhere.