Chapter 43 - Confrontation Part 2

Xuelei had attacked and pinned the Mistress down. With his saber at her exposed neck, they didn't dare do anything. Xuelei's brothers froze. If they made any moves, he would kill the Mistress. The Master was still alive but was having trouble staying conscious.

Shuren stared intensely at Xuelei and Shao Ling. His face contorted into a grimace and a tear slid down his face. This is for you XiuYing. She will pay for your death now. Shuren gathered his will, muttering under his breath and directed his thoughts at the young assassin.

Xuelei cocked his head in response as if listening and bent down. Quickly, his fingers tapped on his Mistress's pressure points effectively immobilising her. She opened her eye in surprise and yelped in protest but it was too late.

Xuelei looked down at her with dead eyes, then he placed his saber at her neck and slowly dragged it over the Mistress's skin. A crimson trail followed the sharp tip. She winced in pain. She thought he would kill her swiftly and get it over with, not play with her life like this! Now she turned her gaze to the masked man. He was controlling Xuelei!

As the man's lips move, Xuelei continued emotionlessly to cut the Mistress's skin open. Line after line of scarlet appeared. Soon her neck and sleeves were soaked in her blood. She whimpered trying her best to withstand the torture.

The saber's tip moved to her shoulder and pierced her skin. It sank into her flesh slowly as the young assassin applied pressure. She screamed helplessly, unable to move. His brothers watched in horror.

"Xue! Stop it!"

"WuMing!"

MeiHua opened her mouth and called out, "WuMing! Stop! This is not you!"

Shuren pressed his blade breaking skin. "Quiet!". A thin red line formed at MeiHua's delicate neck.

"WuMing! Don't do it."

Xuelei turned at MeiHua's sweet voice. It cut though all the fog and confusion. He shook his head and frowned. The man was hurting MeiHua, his MeiHua. He gathered his inner strength, he had to fight this terrible urge to kill.

"Xiumin! Continue."

"No! WuMing! Don't!"

"Xuelei!" his brothers called.

"Xiumin!"

"WuMing!"

"Aarrrgghhh!!" Xuelei lifted his head and howled in anger and frustration. The noise and loss of control driving him mad. His head hurt terribly.

"SHUT UP! Shut up! All of you!"

The hand holding the deadly saber at the Shao Ling's shoulder trembled. Xuelei gathered his inner strength and concentrated channelling all his pent up emotions into breaking free. A surge of energy and raw pain exploded in his head. He flinched and staggered back a few paces.

At the same time Shuren grunted and winced. The sudden flare of energy aimed back along the link had severed his control over Xuelei. The boy was strong. Shuren shook his pounding head. He must re-establish control.

Xuelei had turned back to the Mistress and raised his saber. He saw fear in her eyes. Fear and resolution. He stared at her for a long moment and was shocked to see tears dripping down her cheeks. The Mistress was crying.

"Xuelei," she whispered. "I am truly sorry. I will end this now, I will end your suffering just as I caused it all those years ago and throughout your life. I do love you, you know, in my own fashion."

The Mistress sighed and gave him small smile. "Do it Xuelei. Finish it and you will be free. I have known this day would come ever since I went back and couldn't find his body," she said softly. She was speaking only to him. She wanted to tell him the truth before she died. She wanted to confess and leave this world with a clear conscience.

Xuelei faltered. "What did you say?"

"Finish it, Xuelei. Shuren is right, you are his son." Her eyes travelled to the masked man holding MeiHua captive. "I'm so sorry."

"It's all true?"

Xuelei's hand wavered as he fought for control of his senses. Black despair engulfed him at his Mistress's confession.

The Mistress lifted her voice to the masked man. "Shuren, I know it's you. This is between us. No need to drag others into it. Please, release Xuelei."

"How dare you! You are the one to talk. You involved everyone when you killed my wife, kidnapped my son and killed my household. You destroyed everything. EVERYTHING!" Shuren yelled.

"Why did you do it? Why? That was what I have always wanted to know? You were my best friend. I trusted you."

"I loved you, you thick headed fool but you choose her over me. I have always been by your side, fighting with you, backing you up. Then you had to fall for Xiuying. You abandoned me as if I was nothing, NOTHING! It was then that I realised I meant nothing to you!"

Shuren bowed his head. "You can't fight fate. Xiuying and I were meant for each other."

"I know that now, Shuren. I ... I'm sorry," Shao Ling lowered her voice.

She was crying openly. All the hurt, the pain, the jealousy and anger accumulated over the years was finally being released She was a woman scorned. He had rejected her, her, his loyal companion and best friend, for a useless pretty face, a non-fighter.

Shao Ling couldn't believe that he had chosen the beautiful sweet tempered scholar over her, she who had always been with him and fought by his side backing him up. She was beautiful too, wasn't she?

"Why?" he cried brokenly. "You destroyed everything! My life, our friendship. When I couldn't find you afterward, I couldn't believe it. But the servant girl, she confirmed it. She saw you taking Xiuying's life and right in front of Xiumin too. How could you?"

Xuelei staggered back in shock, the tip of his saber lowering to the ground, forgotten. His nightmares, the ones he had kept buried deep down inside, the ones about the raging fiery infernos, the dark red rivers of blood and anguished dying screams were all true. The beautiful pale woman's face covered with blood reaching for him was his mother. He started shaking. It was true, it was all real.

"I'm sorry. I was jealous at all you had. I had nothing when you married her. I lost you to her. I felt betrayed. You destroyed me so I had to destroy you. Take away everything you held dear like you did when you gave your love to her."

The others stood dumbfounded at the revelation. Jealousy and revenge made a toxic mix. Proof was right in front of their eyes.

"Please, let Xuelei go. All these years, he was all I had of you. I will atone for my actions if you will allow it." Shao Ling lowered her head in shame, repentant. She will atone for her sins against Shuren with her life, it was the only way, it was the only honourable way to repay her sins.

"Witnesses?!" Shuren shouted.

"Witness!!" Xuelei's brother's yelled in unison, confirming the Mistress's offer and pledge. They would do anything to settle this thirteen year old mess and get Xuelei back.