Chapter 22 - Apprehension

It was still dark out when the two shadows left the teahouse. The morning air was cold and refreshing as the two young men rode hard and fast towards the Lay mansion. Their urgent pace allowed them to reach the place within three days.

Anyone who cared to calculate their origin would be thrown off. The distance from the teahouse to the Lay mansion would usually take at least a week of normal travel. They would think the Assassin's headquarters were nearer than it actually was. The teahouse would be taken as a place of contact and messages only.

Instead of staying the night at an Inn, Jin and Xuelei chose to camp on the outskirts of town. They would ride in at a leisurely pace the next morning.

"What's wrong?" Jin asked.

Xuelei had been very quiet. He was usually quiet but now he was almost totally mute. He was staring moodily into the flames. He shrugged, the orange glow from their small fire reflecting off his serious expression.

"I'm afraid."

Jin looked up surprised. "Really? Of what?"

"I don't know why I'm feeling so uneasy. This mission doesn't even involve any killing."

"You were never afraid before, excited, yes, nervous, lots of times but never afraid. This is just another mission. Get in, get the job done and get out."

"This one feels different." He sighed, "I don't know how to describe it."

"Get some sleep. We have been riding hard. Maybe you will feel different in the morning."

Xuelei continued to stare into the flames as Jin settled down to sleep. He had narrowed down his uneasy feeling to that woman, Lady Lay's friend. He actually felt sick in the stomach.

She had asked to meet him after hearing about his description. She must be desperate to find the person she was searching for, for so long. Exactly who was she looking for? He was nervous.

-------------------------------------

A cold clear crisp morning greeted them the next day. All was still quiet and calm, like before a terrible thunderstorm thought Xuelei darkly. The brothers had gotten up early, just before dawn. They had to prepare themselves.

"How do I look?" Xuelei turned and batted his eyes at Jin.

"Don't do that. It's unnerving how you transform into such a pretty girl."

Xuelei sighed. "Let's do this and get it over with. I'm already counting the minutes until I can get out of this dress."

"Remember your voice and be extra careful. You ready?"

"Yeah. Remember, you are my brother. You know what to do if things get out of hand."

Jin patted Xuelei on the back. "No worries little brother, this is what we do. It will be easy," he said easily.

"No, I mean it. My cover can't be exposed."

Jin stopped what he was doing. Xuelei was really worried. "No worries, Xue. I will not leave any evidence. Just make sure it doesn't come to that okay?"

"I still can't shake the bad feeling about this mission. It's almost like we are walking into a trap."

"Stay alert. Don't give anything away."

"Let me do the talking."

"Since when do you do the talking?" Jin snorted referring to Xuelei's preference of staying in the background. The younger man preferred action over words and generally let his brothers take the lead when working together.

Xuelei smiled in amusement.

"Give me a minute to get into character."

"Okay, whenever you're ready."

Jin went to stand by the horses. Xuelei sat on a nearby rock and closed his eyes in meditation. He had to prepare himself mentally and emotionally. He imagined XueHua as a quiet, resourceful girl, feminine but no pushover. She was cultured and could take care of herself. A girl he could be friends with, if he was not who he was.

Jin was accompanying Xuelei for appearances sake, to complete the disguise, making it more believable. It would be too conspicuous for a young girl to be travelling alone. He was essentially back-up.

Xuelei got up and mounted his horse. Jin had also transformed from an assassin into a caring elder brother. He led the way at a comfortable pace.

They entered the city, the streets were still empty. The city was just waking up to the new day. Only a few early risers noticed the handsome man and the lovely girl riding into town. They stopped by a food vendor for breakfast, simple hot steam buns with savoury meat and vegetable filling. They drank cheap fragrant tea, it helped warm them up. It was comfort food, wholesome and filling, the food of the common people.

The couple was polite, the young man asked directions to the Lay mansion. He and his sister were invited guests there. After eating, they paid and continued their journey.

Jin grinned. "News of a brother and sister being invited to stay at the Lay manor will spread like wild fire. It will discourage foul play on their end." It was not every day that people were invited to be guests of Minister Lay.

Xuelei nodded agreement. If people saw them go in, they would expect them to come out alive. The Lay family had a reputation in this town.

Minister Lay was known to be a miser, impatient and sometimes crude, he was also a very strict man. On the other hand, he was also a fair man who actually cared for the city and its citizens. The people here did not love him but they respected him. His only weakness was his precious daughter, Ting Ting, he could not deny his only daughter anything.

Lady Lay was also respected. She would listen to the public and urgent matters could be brought to her husband's attention through her. Minister Lay was after all a very busy man. She helped the people when she could but her first and foremost loyalty was to her husband, her family and her emperor.

The couple had three children, two boys and a girl. Her two brothers doted on Ting Ting. She had been a spoilt rich girl but her recent ordeal had changed her outlook in life. She had matured quickly.

"Let's go."

The two disguised assassins made their way to the Lay Manor.