Chapter 16 - Plans

Xuelei started awake. He woke up like he always did when he on a mission, all at once. Something had awakened him, but what? He was high strung and ready for action, senses alert for any danger.

He was still in his corner, shivering. Maybe it was the cold that had woken him up? Nope. What else? The others were all asleep, sleeping wherever they could. He strained his ears.

It was dark, the lone candle on the table had long since sputtered out and died. The room was pitched black. There were no windows for the moonlight to come in. They were underground. A scraping sound came from the door. Were the guards up to something?

He got up and crept to the door. Carefully he put his ear to the rough wood. He could not hear the guards. There were no mutterings, snoring or the slight noises associated from the shifting of weight from one foot to another. People invariable moved making unconscious sounds, sighing, coughing, the rustling of clothes as they adjusted their position. It did not matter if they were awake or asleep, people were noisy creatures.

There was nothing.

Xuelei searched for a weapon but relaxed when he heard muted grunting and dragging sounds. He breathed a sigh of relief. His brothers had finally arrived. He waited by the door. Soon, he heard soft footsteps. Keys jangled and one was inserted into the padlock. It clicked open. Someone fumbled at the door and it creaked open.

Jin poked his head in, followed by a lighted candle. He gave a yelp when he saw Xuelei watching him.

"Damn it, you scared me, Xue."

"You guys are so noisy. You're spoiling my beauty sleep."

"Very funny. Is she here? Who is the leader?"

"Yes, she's here. The leader is a man called Fung. Are we going now?"

"No. Not yet. You're hurt." Jin hissed noticing the dried blood on the side if Xuelei's face.

"It's nothing. When do we get out?"

"You will have to endure one more day."

"Why?"

"We need a day for our plan to take effect," Li said. "Oh ... and Xue? Whatever you do, do not eat or drink anything else from this place."

Xuelei nodded understanding.

"We will come get you out tomorrow night."

Xuelei backed away as the door was closed and locked once more. He heard the key being dropped carelessly on the floor outside. He smiled to himself. The guards who came for the next shift would find the keys on the floor and the doors still locked from the outside. No suspicion would fall on anyone in the room. His brothers had disposed of the night shift guards. Their bodies would not be found.

He went back to his corner and closed his eyes. Li and Jin were going to poison the food and water in the place. Everyone would die according to the contract.

It was going to be a long and painful day. He would have to antagonise the captors and deprive the girls of their meagre rations. He had to keep them alive. They were all going to hate him tomorrow.

-------------------------------------

The next day, Xuelei was ready when the doors to their prison opened. He waited for the men to put the jug of water and the packets of steam buns on the table before he approached them.

"What do you want little girl? Didn't you learn your lesson yesterday?"

"Xuehua, what are you doing? Don't, you will get hurt again," Ting Ting whispered urgently pulling his arm.