Chapter 39 - Mind Block

Xuelei was practicing in the grotto again. He had to keep busy. He had to keep moving or he would go mad. The dull throbbing in his heart was eating away at him. He didn't know what to do. He didn't think the unbearable ache would ever disappear. It just kept getting worse. So he practiced.

He had modified the Swordman's Dance for the saber so technically he had two sequences now, one for the double-edged sword and another for his single-edged saber. He had been quite pleased with himself when he had figured it out, modifying the steps to accommodate a complete turn so that the saber would be in position to cut down the enemy from the other angle. It would mirror the original and retain the sequence's deadly effectiveness. He had speeded up that part to keep in tempo of the steps.

He had almost mastered it, the appropriate steps coming to him automatically as he thought of different situations. Mixing it up for different scenarios, he alternated between attacking and defending.

Every day, Xuelei practiced diligently, over and over, perfecting the steps, stance and balance. He did do so until he was too tired to think or feel. He would practice until he dropped to the ground too exhausted to move.

"Stop!"

Xuelei froze in mid-strike at his Mistress's voice. He turned to see his Mistress standing at the entrance. She was flanked by the Master and several of his brothers. He did not know how long they had been standing there or how long they had been watching him.

"What are you practicing? Where did you learn this? Tell me!"

She had watched Xuelei, his motions brought back bittersweet memories of another handsome fighter practicing those same fluid moves effortlessly. They were familiar but yet she could not quite recall. She had been more interested in watching the man rather than his moves at that time.

"Mistress," Xuelei greeted her and bowed respectfully.

"That was awesome, Xue," Ren said.

"Quiet!" The Mistress's sharp voice brooked no argument. "Who thought you?"

Xuelei frowned. Was he in trouble? He didn't recall doing anything against the rules.

"Mistress, the man who saved me ..."

"What!!"

He tried again, "The man who saved me showed me."

"He taught you?"

"No Mistress, he showed me. He was practicing when I recovered. He didn't seem to mind me watching and learning."

"He showed you. He is alive?" The Mistress's voice was almost a whisper.

Xuelei tilted his head. The Mistress was behaving strangely. What did the she mean? Of course the man was alive. He saved him didn't he? Or did the Mistress mean a specific person? Xuelei suddenly understood. She knew the man.

The Master touched his sister's hand in warning. "Do you really want to do this?"

The Mistress eyes hardened. "I need to know." Turning to address Xuelei, she commanded him, "Show me."

"Yes, Mistress."

All moved to one side to give him space. The Master shook his head sadly. His sister could not let go of the man and now she could not let go of his ghost. He was surely haunting her for her sins against him.

Xuelei went to the middle of the grotto and prepared himself. He bowed to his audience before going into the opening stance.

"You will not teach what you have learnt here. It is only for you."