Chapter 17 - Rescue

That evening there was a commotion. The guards had left their posts but the doors were still locked from the outside. Something was happening but no one came with any news. In fact, they were completely ignored.

No one came into their room that day. There was no food and no water.

Xuelei felt a sense of satisfaction. The plan was coming together. All he had to do now was wait. Suddenly he coughed, the pain in his chest was sharp and painful. His hand came away with blood.

"Oh no! Your insides are hurt! Let me check."

He stopped Ting Ting with a weak hand, "It's okay. I'm fine."

"Xuehua ..." her voice took on the tone of a mother scolding a young child, "... you are not fine. Just let me check, he kicked you pretty hard in the chest so many times." Her hands reached for the front of his robes.

"You must have bruises all over. Let me help you."

He blocked her hands once more. "No, I'll be okay. Please. I just want to rest."

He turned away and closed his eyes, effectively shutting her out. He schooled his face when he heard her grumbling under her breath.

------------------------------------

The door was kicked opened in the middle of the night. The girls started screaming at the sudden noise. Li and Jin came in with lighted torches, faces covered with cloth.

"Sorry, we had to damage the door. They didn't leave the keys outside this time," Jin announced.

"Quickly, gather your things and follow us. We are breaking all of you out of here."

The girls, excited at the prospect of freedom, gathered around Li.

Jin scanned the room. Finally his eyes narrowed when he found Xuelei. The boy was a wreck. He was standing with the help of a girl. Jin went to Xuelei.

"What happened to you?"

"She was beaten up by that horrible man," Ting Ting answered before Xuelei could reply.

"You are ...?"

"I'm Ting Ting."

"Lay Ting Ting? Minister Lay's daughter."

"Yes."

"Good. Help her. Your father sent us."

She gasped and tears started flowing down her cheeks. "Father sent you?"

"Yes, come. Follow us."

Xuelei spoke up. "Wait, there is a man in the opposite room. Captain Shang, he is Minister Lay's man."

Jin nodded. "I'll get the Captain. The rest of you follow him." He pointed to Li.

The girls followed Li out the room and down a narrow passage. Xuelei stepped out of the room and pointed to a door opposite theirs.

"He is in there."

Jin broke down the door and got Captain Shang out. The poor man was half dead. He had drank some water which was contaminated with the poison.

They made their way to the main courtyard. On the way, they passed some unconscious guards. The place was deserted.

"Where's everyone?" Ting Ting wondered aloud.

"They are all busy dying. Wait here. I'm going to get Fung."

It took Li less than ten minutes to get Fung. He came back to the courtyard with the head kidnapper tied, gagged and in tow. Fung was sweating and he was obviously in pain. He kept hunching over. He too was poisoned.