Chapter 46 - The Flying Sword

"Good, good, very good."

Shuren had backed up from Xuelei's fierce attack. Father and son had been sparring for the past hour. Shuren wanted to test Xuelei's skills with the blade. He was more than satisfied with his son's achievements. Now that he had ascertained Xuelei's skill level, he would know how to continue his training.

Xuelei's technique, speed, strength and precision were very good. He could adjust to changing situations and take advantage of openings or his opponent's mistakes. He just needed to improve on his legwork and balance a bit.

Shuren thought of all the scrolls and martial arts books he had gathered over the years. A treasure throve of skills and techniques. He would teach it all to Xiumin.

"Have you memorised the steps I showed you?"

"Yes Father, I have."

"Good. Show me 'The Flying Sword'. It is a family technique."

"The Flying Sword?" Xuelei grinned. "I renamed it 'The Swordsman's Dance' in honour of you."

Shuren's eyebrows shot up indignantly. "I wasn't dancing! I was practicing the steps very seriously, trying to teach you, you ungrateful pup!"

"I only named it that because you looked very graceful doing it!" Xuelei hastily explained. "Umm, you looked very manly and dangerous too," he added with a straight face.

He did not fool Shuren. "Youngsters nowadays! Simply renaming family techniques that have been handed down for generations," he grumbled. "Show me!"

"Yes Father."

Shuren moved to the side to give Xuelei space. Xuelei was suddenly nervous. His father, Zhen Shuren, the legendary master swordsman was going to judge him. He cleared his mind and proceeded with the opening stance. The master swordsman watched without saying anything until the assassin had completed the sequence.

"Hmm ..."

Xuelei stayed still waiting for his father's verdict. He hoped that he had done the technique some justice. He did not want to disappoint Shuren. He kept silent while Shuren looked thoughtful and mumbled to himself.

His heart sank. He didn't do it right. When he was learning under the Mistress, she would berate him for the tiniest mistake. He lowered his head in shame and waited for Shuren's criticisms.

Suddenly Shuren laughed out loud startling Xuelei. Shuren came forward to clap his son on his shoulder.

"Not bad, Xiumin." He smiled broadly. "I was wondering why you changed those two steps when I noticed you are using the saber."

Xuelei couldn't believe his ears. His father was actually praising him. He looked at Shuren in disbelief, hope blossoming in his chest.

"In fact, it was very good. Only a few small mistakes that can easily be corrected. It was very smart of you to change it up that way considering the type of blade you were using."

"Really? You are not displeased with me?"

"Xiumin, I have never been more proud of you my son."

Shuren clasped both Xuelei's shoulders. "You managed to memorise the complicated steps just by watching from an odd angle and when you were recovering from severe wounds. Half the time you were not even conscious. I only wanted to see how much you had learnt so that I could correct you if necessary."

"You have more than surpassed my expectations, even changing the parts of 'The Flying Sword' to suit your preference of the using the saber."

Xuelei was ecstatic. His father was proud of him.

Shuren threw Xuelei his sword with a grin. "Again! This time use my sword and no deviations. I want to see you do the original."

"Yes Father!"

"... and change the name back to 'The Flying Sword'!"

Xuelei laughed happily. "Yes Father!"

Shuren watched as Xuelei executed the Zhen's family sword technique flawlessly. He was so proud of his son he thought he might burst.

XiuYing, if only you could see our son now. You would be so proud of him too.