Two

"Of course I'm late, why wouldn't I be?" I groan sarcastically to myself as I struggle to pull on a somewhat clean pair of jeans with one hand while I brush my hair with the other.

On this beautiful Monday morning my alarm clock decided not to go off, so it looks like I might not be making it to my first class of the day at school. You would think that after twelve years of public school and four years of college I would have a routine down to a science, but you would be wrong.

I get ready quickly, skip breakfast entirely, and practically run out of the house to grab a public bus to take me to campus. I thankfully just make a bus before it pulls out of the stop closest to my house but I'm forced to stand since I got here so late. And now begins the lovely traffic filled drive into the city. Living in Brooklyn is great, but going to college in Manhattan can be a pain when you're perpetually late like I am.

I would have considered living at school like Dylan does, but the thought of my mom all alone in that house sickens me a little. I would be too worried all the time, it wouldn't be worth it. I couldn't even bring myself to study abroad for a semester, or go to my top choice school upstate, because I feel like I need to be there for her always.

Finally, my stop arrives and I get off the bus and make my way over to the law building. I head inside for my first class, though I missed half of the lecture, and the rest of the day goes by with a less hectic feeling than this morning. Finally my last class at two in the afternoon rolls around, but to my dismay the teacher assigns us our final project. A partner project. Great.

"Okay everybody, to keep it fair you'll all work with the person in front of you. Front row, with the person behind you. Sign up for a topic online, and I'll see you all tomorrow!" The teacher says, dismissing us to go find our partners.

"Marissa, hi." I smile, walking over to the perky blonde girl in front of me. We've had a few classes together since we're both pre-law and she's nice enough, just not exactly my cup of tea. She's very...bubbly.

"Hey..." She gives me a friendly white smile, but by the panicked widening of her eyes I can tell she doesn't remember my name.

"Cassidy." I inform her, ending her suffering, and she relaxes a little bit.

"Cassidy, duh, I knew that. Sorry girl, you know how Mondays are." She plays it off and I give a half-hearted fake laugh.

"Hey so we should get started on this asap. My roommate has her boyfriend visiting until this weekend, so can we work on the project in your dorm?" She asks me.

"Oh, uh, I actually don't have a dorm. I live at home." I tell her nervously. I don't know why I hate telling people that, I just do.

"Really? Why on earth would you do that?" She laughs, asking seriously.

"Um...I just didn't want my mom to get lonely." I shrug, embarrassed, and I think she gets the hint to drop the subject.

"That's really sweet." She nods, patting me sympathetically on the arm even though I don't recall asking for sympathy. "But I work tonight anyways, so can we do tomorrow after class at your place?"

"Yeah, sounds good." I nod, packing my things to get out of here quickly.

"Awesome! I'll text you later!" She says with a smile and we quickly exchange numbers, then I get the hell out of there.

Suddenly feeling exhausted, I decide to make a pit stop before heading home so I leave campus and walk a few blocks downtown to a little coffee shop me and Dylan discovered a few years ago. I order a large black regular to-go and sit down at a window seat, looking out at the taxis and busy people in suits speeding down fifth ave.