Thirty-Two

I fly low to the ground of the large warehouse, weaving between rows of crates and shipping containers. Then I see him in the office on the second floor, my target.

I approach the door in the dimly lit warehouse, and make sure nobody else is around to see me slip inside the office and quietly lock the door behind me.

"Where is it?" I ask in a low voice.

The man at the desk jumps from shock, then springs to his feet and pulls out a gun.

"Who is there? Show yourself." He says in a thick accent.

"As you wish." I say and I phase in my body, keeping my head invisible, "Now let me ask again. Where is it?"

"Who are you?" He says, pointing the gun at my chest.

"Someone who won't ask a third time." I snap back. I see a large locked safe in the corner of the room. I begin to walk over to it, and the man shoots at me with his gun the second I begin to turn away.

The bullet doesn't hit me, of course, but it clatters to the ground by my feet. With the flick of my wrist I knock the gun out of his hand.

He gasps in shock, suddenly full of fear.

"Not gonna lie, that kind of pissed me off." I say as I lean to the side and send a kick flying square towards the center of his chest. He falls back and lands in his office chair, which skids across the floor.

I wave my hand again and the gun floats up in the air. I hold it in place with my powers so it aims right at the man's forehead, then I turn back to the safe.

"Is this thing rigged with anything? A bomb?" I ask him.

"Screw you, mutant girl." He says, spitting at me. I sigh and snap my fingers, and the gun goes off. I purposefully raise the bullet so it flies just above the man's head.

"Fine! No, the safe is clean. But not even I know the password." He laughs.

"Pity." I frown, and then I plant my feet and rip the thick safe door off of it's hinges with my powers, feeling the metal split under my hands.

Inside is exactly what I came for. I pull out a little red book full of writing and diagrams in a language I can't read.

"Give that back, demon!" The man jumps up and charges me, and I hold up my hand to send the detached safe door flying up. He slams into it and falls to the ground unconscious. I step over him, placing the book into my gear belt and flying off.

I make my way over to a small village a few miles away where I'm meeting my client. I give him the book and he thanks me on behalf of the Red Circle, whatever that is. I take my payment and fly away.

I think I'm in Belarus right now, though I might have crossed over into Russia. Either way I want to get the hell out of here. This time I find an actual plane to take me to New York, because I don't feel like flying all the way across the ocean tonight. I just hop into the baggage area and kick back on top of someone's suitcase.

It's been about a month since I visited the Avengers compound, and I feel more free than ever. I still feel anger towards them all, but I've come to terms with it. I accept my feelings for what they are, and I'm alright with them now.

I find a very uneasy slumber on the plane, and when I get back to New York it's just approaching midnight.

I'm exhausted, but I still fly home low and slow, watching the night unfold around me. I pass by my mother's house and see all the lights off. She always was an early sleeper.

I smile to myself at the thought of her peacefully sleeping in bed, hopefully not thinking of me at all.

I weave through a particularly bad neighborhood in Brooklyn that I usually find is the heaviest with crime, which is why I almost always go home this way. Just in case someone needs help.