Eight

Dylan.

Guilt overcomes me as I think his name.

I haven't even considered how he's doing in the time that I've been here. I mean, I know he probably means more to me than I do to him, but he still must be worried about me. I left him with no warning, no explanation, and no goodbye.

I feel heartsick without him, and being surrounded by all of these strangers who are so close to each other makes my loneliness more apparent. They're all with their family, and I don't get to be with mine.

I'd give anything to be in Dylan's arms right now. I promised myself I wouldn't let myself think thoughts like that again, but it's true. I like him more than someone is supposed to like their best friend. I always have, ever since we were kids.

He's never looked at me that way though, there's always been some new girl he's chasing while I patiently sit admiring him in the background. That's why I've always swallowed what I feel around him, it wouldn't do either of us any good. His friendship means too much to me. And I showed him that by blowing him off. Some friend I am.

I look out at everyone in the backyard and see that they've started playing frisbee with Cap's shield. Everyone laughs as Thor throws it a little bit too hard at Tony, and he ducks for cover.

A memory pops into my head from when I was a little kid.

"Dyl I cant do it!" I whined, crossing my arms after throwing the yellow frisbee onto the ground. I couldn't figure out how to throw them as a small and uncoordinated six year old girl.

"Sure you can, Cassie!" He ran over to me in his puffy blue winter coat and picked up the frisbee.

"No, this is stupid." I huffed in annoyance at his everlasting positivity.

"Hey, Cassidy-" My dad said in a warning tone at my attitude. The thought of him so young and alive hurts my heart even more.

"I'll teach you!" Dylan suggested, and little me perked up immediately.

"Thank you Dylan, that's very kind of you." My dad told him, patting him on the shoulder.

Dylan has been my rock since day one. My entire life is permeated by memories of him.

When I pop out of my daydream I realize I've been crying this entire time. Tiny sobs pepper the air as I try to cry as silently as I can. Loki sits below me on the deck polishing his long golden scepter, so I have to be quiet.

I sit, sobbing, for a few minutes before a voice breaks the silence.

"You're invisible, not mute you know." Loki says without even looking up as he continues to polish his gold scepter with a rag.

Realizing I've been caught, I phase in from above Loki on the roof.

"Sorry, Loki." I sniff, hopping off of the roof and landing next to him. I take a seat in the chair beside him. I know he's this big bad monster, but he doesn't scare me. He doesn't exactly make me completely comfortable, either.

"Why are you crying? We haven't even started the fun part yet." He says, and I'm assuming he's talking about the part where they all finally have to fight Thanos and his aliens.

"I just miss my family." I tell him sadly, leaving out most of the weepy details.

"Ha, you humans are so delicate." He laughs condescendingly, shaking his head and stil not looking over at me.

"Hey, I think it's a justified thing to be upset about." I defend myself in a raised and harsh voice, already angry at his words.

"Well I don't even have a family!" He counters by talking even louder, "You don't see me walking around in hysterics." He scoffs.