Thirty-One

I truly didn't think I would ever be back here during my new thousands of years of life, at least not while everyone here was still alive.

I stand outside the gates of the Avengers compound, where I know Tony and most of the others still live. This year has been quiet with the whole Thanos situation from what I can gather.

I try not to keep up with what's happening with the Avengers, but they're hard to avoid when their faces are plastered on every TV screen and billboard in the city. A few more small alien invasions have made the news, and the Avengers have stopped them relatively easily every time. Most of those attacks were earlier in the year, because I think Thanos and his armies must have realized that tactic wasn't working.

He has the power stone, but little does he know all of the other stones are on Earth. I'm the only person that knows that, actually, because the Avengers don't know about the Soul Stone, and the US Government doesn't know about the other stones.

The reason I'm here sneaking around the Avengers compound in the middle of the night is because I've been uneasy all week since Tony found me. I haven't left my apartment at night at all, and I've completely changed my routine to throw him off my scent.

I'm here to find his data and analysis on me and destroy it. I can't sleep knowing he's off in his lab somewhere figuring out exactly where I am at all times. If his computer hard drive were to get magically fried it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I'm not stupid though, I know he'll know it was really me if I zap the computers with my powers. So I'm going to do it the old fashioned way and set off the fire sprinklers.

I fly over to Vision's bedroom window because I know he always keeps it open at night and Tony always yells at him for letting cold air inside. I silently slip through it, careful not to bump into the frame or make a sound, because I know if anyone could hear me it would be Vision. He doesn't seem to notice me though, he just sits in the corner reading a book with a small light on.

I fly out into the hallway and make my way down towards Tony's lab. Then I pass the last bedroom. Curiosity overcomes me. Is he still here?

I stare at the bedroom doorknob for a long while, and despite my better judgement I slowly turn the handle and push the door open.

I can't help it. Being here is like being in a time capsule, like the old Cassidy still lives here.

I cautiously fly into the room, slowly and very unsurely.

But then I see him, and I let out a sigh of relief as I float down to the ground. Loki. He lays in his bed, curled under the covers, sleeping peacefully.

I phase in without even meaning to. I'm here. I really am here.

I walk over to his bed and perch myself gently on the end of it by his feet. I watch the rise and fall of his chest, and see his eyes flicker behind his eye lids.

"She really loved you." I whisper. Cassidy Martin truly loved this man.

She was a fool.

Looking at him, as beautiful and peaceful as he is, suddenly makes me grow angry again. How does he deserve peace when all I got is death? How can he live with himself? Did I mean so little that a year later he's still in the same bed with an eased conscience and a perfect night's sleep?

I haven't had a good night's sleep in a year, and I'll bet he has one every night.

My anger grows, and my hand that rests on the bed grabs a fistful of his covers so I have something to squeeze. That was a mistake.