Nineteen

Night has fallen, and I'm all alone.

Now is my last chance to think of a plan to escape from this hell on earth.

I know this glass case neutralizes my magnetic powers. No matter how hard I try, I can't move any of the metal around me outside of this thing.

I need to know what this stupid glass is made out of, or what it does to me. I walk around the perimeter of my cylinder prison cell, gliding my hand along the cool glass. Then I remember.

I've seen this glass before. It held the vile of the Substance in the transport truck that day. That vile must have been made out of this same glass, because it would have eroded through regular glass. And if I remember correctly, one thing stood out about that glass vile.

It shattered from a simple fall to the ground. It is highly breakable.

This cage is thicker than that vile, but I bet with the right amount of force I could blast it to pieces. A gun or a huge collision might do the trick. I just have to lure one of the guards in here.

Then I think of Loki, and my escape plan falls into place in my mind. I'll just have to do a little trickery of my own.

I sit down and hunch over to avoid suspicion, then I cup my pinky with my other hand so that I can see it but the cameras everywhere else can't. I close my eyes and pray that my invisibility still works, and I make my pinky hopefully go invisible. When I open my eyes, I have to suppress a smile of joy.

My invisibility still works. My pinky is gone.

I sit and wait until the right time to enact my plan arrives.

The next morning, after a sleepless night, the morning shift of guards file in and all of the fancy scientists in lab coats resume their examinations of me and their incessant typing on large computers.

Now is my chance. My last chance.

I jog around the circle a few times, picking up speed at every rotation. I hear one man shout, "What is she doing?" but I ignore it. I keep running until I'm going as fast as I can in this small space, and then I turn and run directly at the glass across from me, cutting straight through the center of the cage.

Right before I hit the glass, I do a little leap for show and then go completely invisible in mid air. I skid to a stop when I hit the ground, careful to make no noise and not hit the glass. Then I stop moving and I go silent.

"Where did she go?"

"Did she escape?"

"Impossible!"

"Well where is she?"

"Are you sure she's still in there?"

"It looked like she just jumped through the barrier!"

"Somebody go check, now!"

A chorus of voices and arguments erupt after my show, and I smile to myself. I'm determined now. How dare these grown men stand around me and decide that I am not worth keeping alive? That they have the right to kill me? Not today.

The outer door of my cage opens. An armed guard cautiously steps in. The inner door opens. He walks into the cage, looking around for any sign of me and reaching out with his hand like he's swiping the air for cob webs.

After he makes a few laps, he grows angry and raises his gun in a firing position. I seize the opportunity, running and jumping on to his back. I reach over to the gun he's holding and grab the trigger, pulling back on it as tightly as I can.