Twenty-Nine

They don't know I'm here.

It's not unusual for me to surprise people, because nobody ever sees me coming. Nobody ever sees me at all anymore, not even myself.

I walk into the meeting room, having come into this highly fortified building completely undetected, and loudly pull out the metal chair to sit down. A bored looking man across the table jumps when he hears the noise and sees the chair magically move, since I'm invisible.

I've been invisible since I died on Asgard, and that was an entire year ago at this point. A whole year of being nobody and no one.

The man straightens and clears his throat.

"I'm sorry for the lack of courtesy on your way in, my men did not know you had arrived." He says, offering a hand for me to take.

I notice the red logo on his jacket that looks like a skull with tentacles. Hydra. I'm almost shocked their security systems didn't pick up on me at all.

"Nobody ever does." I say. I don't shake his hand.

"We are grateful you have chosen to assist us, Ms..." He drags off, wanting me to fill in the blank and tell him what name to call me.

"Call me No One. Because no one is helping you. This is purely a business transaction. You pay me, I provide my services." I tell him.

"Yes, of course. We have heard a great deal about your talents, but I must admit I am concerned about giving you this payment. If I do not know who you are, how can I know you will really do what you are paid to do? How can I even know you are real?" He asks.

They always ask this, my clients. They always want to see my face and know what I look like so that if I cheat them they'll know who to come after. My answer is always the same. No.

I sigh, and phase in just my body, so that I look like a body in an all black jumpsuit with no head.

"I'm real. But you don't need to know me, just know I deliver. As long as I'm paid, of course." I tell him, gesturing with my hand to the silver briefcase on the side of the table that I know contains my money.

I can't even count how many millions of dollars I've made since I decided to start fighting only for myself, and to become the weapon the Avengers turned me into.

I became a weapon for hire, and I couldn't care less about who hires me. I've stolen jewels and art, government secrets, and sometimes even people. It's easy to steal things when nobody can see you do it.

There are whispers about me, I'm sure, because everyone who's heard of me wants to know who the faceless woman is. But I tell them all the same thing. I am No One.

Hydra, my newest client, is no different. They're an agency full of crooks and backwards minds, but who am I to judge? I've learned firsthand that even the so-called heroes aren't the good guys. Everyone at the end of the day is fighting for themselves, so why can't I?

The man turns serious and leans forward on his elbows, speaking in a low tone, "How do we know you aren't luring us into a trap?"

"You don't," I tell him bluntly, returning to my completely invisible state, "But we both know nobody else can get you what you're asking for. So I guess trusting me is your only option."

He doesn't look convinced.

"Don't worry, I don't like unsatisfied customers. Bad for business, you know, it doesn't look good on the yelp page." I add sarcastically, and he cracks a grin.

"Very well. We need you to steal an item from the United States government." He says and I sit up straighter, though they can't see me anymore.

"What and where?" I ask.