Fourteen

"Tony...not that I don't love our little adventures, but tell me again why we couldn't just stay in the Kamar Taj?" Natasha asks as we all descend the stairs out of our aircraft and onto a snow covered mountainside.

We flew all through yesterday evening and into the night to get here, and now it must be around one in the morning here in Nepal. We must have landed in some kind of cave, or under a mountain ledge, because even though it's dark I can see the snow falling beyond our mountain ceiling.

"We need rest before we try to move an infinity stone halfway across the world, but staying at the Kamar Taj tonight could draw too much attention to it. We want to be in and out as quickly as possible. Fury told me about this place, it's an old bunker carved into the Himalayans. The Kamar Taj is only twenty miles away from here. We'll go at dawn." Tony informs us all, walking over to a heavy iron door I didn't notice before in the rock wall of the cave.

He presses the button on his watch that opens up a mini Iron Man glove over his hand so that he can grab the rusted handle of the door and twist it open. Even with the suit, it takes effort. Once he has the door open we all file inside and see a wide open room with some cots lined up in a few rows.

"There's an outhouse outside. It's not much, but it's hidden, it's warm, and it's safe." Tony says, sighing and placing his duffle bag on one of the cots. Thor and Cap walk in carrying piles of blankets and pillows, and Wanda and I help distribute them out to each bed.

I pull a thick sweater over my black body suit, which I put on just in case something happens and I don't have time to prepare for a fight, and then I sit on the bed. I feel exhausted.

I shut my eyes momentarily, and doze off almost immediately. The sound of laughter wakes me up, and I pop back up in bed to see everyone else is gone. I must have been out for twenty minutes or so, and checking my watch confirms that.

I hesitantly walk outside of the bunker towards the sound of the laughter, and see that everyone is gathered around what looks like a fire pit by the edge of the overpass. I walk over and sit on one of the large logs used for benches, right next to Natasha.

"Hello there Cassidy, would you happen to have a match?" Thor asks me as I sit and I shake my head.

"No, sorry, I didn't bring any." I shrug.

"Neither did any of us. Thank god we brought firewood though, but no matches." Clint laughs, shoving Tony in the shoulder. 

I smile, and then an idea pops into my head.

"Hey, wait a second." I say, digging around in the pockets of my coat until I find a coin. I pull out a quarter, and everyone watches as I take it into my palms and squeeze them together.

I heat the metal up with my powers, using the magnetism of both of my hands to repel away from each other and then countering that force with my strength, creating friction that heats up the quarter and my hands. I pull my hands away and the quarter is now a red hot ball of metal floating in the air. I guide it into the fire pit, and it's so hot that the wood ignites almost immediately.

I look at my palms, and the silver gashes are now also glowing red from how hot they got. It stings, so I run over to a snowy part of the ground and push my palms into the snow. They sizzle, and steam from the melted snow begins to evaporate. I let out a sigh of relief, and everyone begins to laugh loudly at me.

I look around at all of us, and the group feels smaller than usual, because it is. Rhodey had to stay home because he's definitely not recovered enough to fight, and Vision stayed to watch over him, and also because I think for some reason he feels guilty about what happened to Rhodey. I've never asked, though.