37.2: Stay

Railey’s POV

“Can you be my date?”

                Ito ang bumungad na tanong sa akin nang magtama ang mata naming ni Ma’am Chloe. It’s kinda weird seeing her act awkward at that time. Unang-una, I’m not sure if she’s already being nervous when she talked to me. But then, it’s definitely seen, she’s nervous. Na hindi naman niya nagagawa dati.

                Everything was settled. Technically, a pretty lady in front of me is asking me to be her date. As much as I wanted to say “Yes” just to say that I have a date, I cannot. I will not. I… I don’t know.

                “Sir, excuse me. Nandito na raw po ang special guests. They’re looking for you,” hatak ni Pam sa akin. Luckily, naialis niya ako sa isang masikip na situation. I wasn’t able to answer Chloe. Instead, I answered her, “Excuse me.”

                I immediately went to the front door to welcome to guests. Sila naman ang mga officers ng college namin. Sila Dean and the rest of the chairpersons of each departments under the college. Among all people na kasama ni Dean, si Rebecca pa rin ang namumukod tangi.

                Her dress isn’t that complicated. It was just her simple red tube dress. Ang haba nito ay hanggang sa itaas lang ng kanyang tuhod. Naka-bun lang ang buhok niya, and ang hindi usual sa lahat, hindi makapal ang make up niya. Everything about her makes me love her more.

                “Sir Medrana, you’re supposed to welcome us, right?” bati sa akin ni Dean. I don’t have to describe her. It’s just her normal terno dress which she seems to love wearing every day. Natulala ako pagpasok nila.

                “Good evening, Ma’am,” I greeted her habang itinuro ko sa kanila ang special seat for them. Habang si Rebecca… she’s still with Jael. And it think, Sir Jael is her date. I am about to kill him any moment from now.

                Dumiretso naman sila sa kanilang upuan. After they have settled down, sinenyasan ko sina Pam to finally start the Program. The emcees started the program by reminding everyone that the prayer will be led by the College Choir. Nasa table ako kasama si Dean. She’s with Ma’am Jen. Rebecca, with Sir Jael. And me?

                “Nahanap rin kita,” bulong sa akin ni Ma’am Chloe.

                I think she’s sticking with me the whole night.

                Habang kumakanta ang choir, bigla ko lang naisip na, kanino kaya nanggaling ‘yung white chocolcates? Ngayon lang ako nagtaka kung sino ang nagbigay sa akin ng mga iyon. Just wondering where those things came from. I have this feeling na those stuffs are making their way to reconcile Rebecca and I.

                What if ito na ang pagkakataon kong bumawi? I know. I’ve been planning this one so many times. But, I simply can’t. I cannot afford to say sorry knowing na she’s always with Jael. She’s always always with Jael. Fvckin’ hate seeing them together.

                No. Hindi ako lalapit sa kanya.

                After the doxology lead by the choir, isa-isa na ring nagsiupuan ang lahat.

                Hindi ko pa ring mapigilang hindi mapatingin kay Rebecca.

                I am now very confused about what to do.