Chapter 9 - The Letter

Chapter 9

            “Thanks Rob, I really appreciate everything you have been doing lately.”  I crawl into the passenger seat of his car. 

“Hey, its nothing, you are pretty easy to impress.”

Whenever I was around him I was at instant ease, Rob makes me feel secure, it always feels natural to call him in a time of need.  No one could calm my nerves the way he could.

            We arrived at the station within fifteen minutes of my hanging up the phone.  I quickly found Murphy and waited to see the letter that Kay had written.  It was typed and there was a signature at the bottom left hand side, and dated.

To whom it May Concern,

     I would like to thank you for the experiences and challenges I have faced throughout my employment in your services.  There are many people here that I will deeply miss and things that I am glad to have done.  Unfortunately at this time, I am giving my resignation. 

     It is time for me to cut a new path in life, to try something new; a change of scenery.  I intend on moving to Toronto to pursue further developments within my career. 

     I hope you will understand and respect my decision on this matter.  Perhaps, I will return one day and entertain you with the new life experiences and events that have transpired in my life.

     Again, thank you for everything you have done for me these past three years.  It has been truly a wonderful experience.

Sincerely,

     Kay Pearson                     September 5th

            It was Kay’s signature.  All we had ever discussed were the trivial factors in our lives: fashion, men, make up.  I had always been under the impression she liked her job.

            I sat dumb founded in the chair before the officer’s desk.  Robert read the letter a second time over my shoulder.  Murphy began to explain things, waiting for something to flash in my eyes, “well I spoke with her boss and she told me that Kay was just in a temporary position, covering for Mat. Leave and that it would be up shortly anyways.  She had figured she found another job in Toronto and didn’t really have any time to give notice.  It probably demanded that she start as soon as possible.”

“I knew her contract was up, I just figured that they would give her something else, she was good at what she does so I never thought anything of it.  I knew she was talking a lot lately about moving to Toronto, but we couldn’t afford it, I just thought it was a lot of smoke and mirrors.  Kay always was big talk and never really went through with any of it.”

“Well, I guess she did this time.  We matched her signature to the samples you provided and it was printed from her computer at work, and all of the timeline adds up.  She printed it from her office at 11 pm, and you said she left around 10:30 so…  I’m sure she will call you when she has a phone line set up.  Her cell phone company said she cancelled it that Tuesday night.”

            It all seemed too simple, and the simplest explanation usually is the right one.  It is hard to believe that one’s best friend would simply up and leave them with no expectation.  Kay was being selfish.  A part of me was envious that she had actually gone through with what we had discussed for so long and never seemed to have the guts to do.  She had moved away, and gone on to bigger and better things.  My heart sunk, and yet at the same time it rejoiced, that my friend had finally accomplished something for herself that I wanted so bad.

“I think a drink is in order,” Rob wrapped his arm around my shoulder and escorted me out of the office, “thank you” he called behind us as we walked out the doors and into the street.  The lamps were beginning to illuminate the night as we settled into his car. 

“Thanks but no thanks, I’m gonna pass on that drink.”

“You sure,” he seemed truly disappointed.  “Yeah.”  My world had a wrench thrown into.  There were many things that needed to be done now, starting with informing my landlord that we would be vacating the premise and telling my parents that I would be moving in, temporarily.