Chapter 11 - Break ups can be therapeutic

CHAPTER 11: Break ups can be therapeutic

            The days events had left me mentally exhausted and I retired shortly after nine to bed.  It was the first night that I had felt peace that month.  I woke up that morning refreshed and energized.

            My closet was full of clothing that held no interest for me, and Kay had this great little black t-shirt dress that I had been dying to borrow.  It was relatively warm for an October morning and it may be the last time that I would be able to pursue bare legs.  The outfit and look had been circling in my mind for quite some time and until now had not felt right about wearing it.  I rushed to her room.  I would wear it with a pair of black Mary Jane pumps, accessorized with a few gold bangles, simple earnings and huge necklace.  I can not think of a more perfect outfit.  It is these moments where I am overly concerned with my physical appearance and co ordination that disgusts me with myself.  However I would rather look good then try to prove a point. 

            I opened the door to her room and made my way to her closet.  I grabbed the dress and slipped it over my head.  I twisted as I did so and when my head peered out through the top of the shirt I was facing her bed.  The picture I had taken out of the drawer was no longer on her night table. As I turned the around corner it was on the ground face down.  I picked it up and placed it back where I had left it.  The upstairs neighbours were always stomping around upstairs. 

There was one time where they were so loud that it had knocked my piggy bank off my shelf. Pennies littered my bedroom as it lay in pieces on the hardwood floor.  I had wished then that I had Kay’s bedroom with the carpeting.  It was a gift I had gotten from my great grandmother who was now dead.  A piggy bank is replaceable but not the sentimental attachment.   

I only had a month and a half left of this behaviour to put up with; after that then I would only have to deal with a smart mouthed teenage boy.

            By the time I had gotten to work my feet were killing me.  The pain shot up my calves every time I took a step forward.  I removed the shoes and decided that I would remain barefoot all day and attempt to get a piggy back ride anywhere I needed to go throughout the day.  My toes were red and pinched within the shoes and I let out a quiet whimper as my feet escaped their prison.

“So what have you got for me this week kiddo?”  Ken was unusually happy this morning.

“Right now a lot of numbers and graphs without any meaning,  I’ll do a short write up and it’s yours.”

“You seem slightly cheerier then usual.”

“Ok, well I got an email from Kay last night …”

“Oh, I’m glad to hear she’s ok, did I not tell you so. And you thinking is not such a good thing.”

“Ha ha.  Just let me finish.  Well she mentioned how she couldn’t take seeing her ex anymore so she just bolted, like an excuse.  And I mean I did the same thing, right?  I mean essentially me leaving was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I got a great University education, which led me to a job I love.  Kay hated it here.  Every time we would go out we would just be miserable and wish we lived somewhere more exciting and fun, well now she’s done that.  She’s in Toronto, where she wanted to be in the first place. I know for a fact she would have been a lifer if she had not had some horrible thing pushing her…”

“…yeah but she could have been pushed by not having a job.  Either way I’m happy, everything is fine.”

He walked away and I got to clicking away at my keyboard.

            By the end of my day everything had been set straight.  I no longer worried about my best friend, but admired her strength for doing something when she needed to.  A break up had been her kick and when she found a job that made her happy and good money she would not be holding the feelings of regret and uncertainty.