Chapter 20

Chapter 20

            Three weeks worth of dreamless sleep and one week of glorious relationship bliss and I was out of sleeping pills.  I retired to my bed early and switched on my television to give me enough time to fall asleep.  A made for TV movie was playing, it was a low budget horror movie, which are always the best because they are so bad they are good and I am always fine to sleep afterwards.  By the time the credits roll I am drifting away into slumber.

            I can barely make the forms out in front of me, everything is covered by a white mist, as if I am looking through fog.  I can make out shapes and dull colours.  I can feel the cold wet earth against my back.  The only colour I see around me is brown.  I can hear someone panting in the near distance, they are almost in arm reach.  I try to move my body but I cannot, I just lay there limp.  I press and press with all my force.  My arms float out next to me, they move outside the physical limitations of my body I can feel them but I cannot see them.  I feel dirt against my fingers and pine needles. 

            Something drops on my legs, it crumbles on me in lumps.  Another pile drops on me.  Then my torso.  The weight presses down on me.  I reach forward with all my strength and grab a lump, its dirt.  Someone was burying me.  I look up into the dark sky and see a sprinkle of stars.  I wait for my eyes to adapt to the light and try to make out who is standing over me.  I can make out a figure and deep breathing.  My grave is shallow.  I cannot see the face.  I try to get up, I feel weak and drained.  I raise myself upright but cannot stand, I do not have the strength.   I turn around to see myself, however it is not me.  The hair is long fair locks that is damp and knotted.  The skin is tanned and clear of blemishes.  I have a hard time making out the features and I try to focus, there is a mist swirling around the face and body.  I feel more weight of earth as it drops down on me and it pushes me back down into the ground.  The weight grows and I cannot move, it is too heavy and I feel exhausted and frustrated in my incapability to do anything.

“BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!”  My alarm clock goes off.  Another day.  Another dream.