Chapter 21 - Mind playing tricks..

Chapter 21

“I think the dream represents your relationship with Rob.  Subconsciously you know you shouldn’t be with him.”  Liz was quick to offer an explanation for my dream, a foreboding omen.  We sat in our bathrobes enjoying morning coffees.  Her long blond hair is pulled back in a loose bun with pieces falling in her fresh face.  Her delicate little feet rest in my lap as I paint her toenails a sparkling fuschia. 

“What does Kay think of all this?”

“To be honest, I haven’t told her.  In fact I haven’t heard from her in a little while.”

“Figures.  I knew it would just be a matter of time before she ‘forgot’ about you.”  She created air quotes and rolled her eyes.  I pamper her feet as I try to ignore her negativity.

“She’s busy.  I understand.”  Truth be told I was a little disappointed, “but now I have you!”  I flash Liz a great big smile and she rolls her eyes again.

After coffee we both returned to our rooms to ready ourselves for the day, I had work and Liz had school. She was driving right by my work and had offered to drop me off.

            She pulls in front of my office and unlocks the door so I could get out, “Do you want me to pick you up later?”

“No thanks.  I am doing dinner and a movie with Rob.”

“Ugh!  Don’t even tell me.”  I close the door behind me and wave as she drives away. 

            Outside my office the blue skis of the morning have turned grey and moody.  It would be the perfect evening to cuddle up to someone and watch a movie.  Around the end of the workday the clouds covered the sky creating complete darkness and they grumbled with the promise of rain.

            After the movie Rob drives me home, as the rest of the day had been an indication, the night is just as dreary.  The rain lightly taps against the tin roof of the car as we drove along in silence. 

“That was a really good movie.  I am glad you asked me to go out.”  Rob smiles at me and continues to drive.  He had been unusually quiet this evening.  Throughout dinner he had been off, he was mumbling under his breathe and leaving his sentences unfinished.  His eyes gave away that he was somewhere else.  Even throughout the movie, he was an empty shell.

“Anything on your mind?”  He shook his head no. I decide that it is best not to press.  Lightning flashes in the sky above us, and in the distant a bolt comes down to the earth. A few moments pass and the sky lets out a loud crack; the cycle repeats itself.  I trace the droplets of water against the window pane. 

“I hate thunderstorms,” the words escape under his breath.  Robert appears agitated and tense next to me.

“Oh babes, I do too.  But I feel safe with you.”  I pull my arms around his neck and give him a kiss on the cheek.  His eyes do not leave the road ahead. 

“Do you remember that time at your place?”

“You have to elaborate a little more.  There were lots of times at my place!”

“That time, you know, with the pictures.”  I know exactly what Robert is getting at, the cracked picture of Kay. 

“What about it?”

“Do you ever think about it?” 

“Not at all.”

“I do, a lot.”

“Why?  Because the wind or the neighbour upstairs jumped around too much and it fell?”

“Do you ever think it was something else?”

“No…because it wasn’t.  Babes, you have watched to many scary movies!”  I roll my head back and giggle at Robert’s silliness, this will be the last time I take him to a scary movie.                   

            Another crack of thunder and a flash of lightening.  “Did you see that?”  Robert asks, more alert then before.

“See what?”

“Nothing.  Never mind.”

“And I was the one with the crazy dreams.  Definitely no more scary movies!”  I laugh to lighten the mood.  He turns, smiles at me, and returns the laughter.  It quickly fades with another flash of lightening. 

“In the mirror – did you not just see that?”  Obvious fear cracks in his voice.

“Robert I saw nothing…”

“Shut up and watch.”  He taps his finger on the rearview mirror, “just watch”.

A load crack of thunder rumbles in the sky, as the storm closes in on us.  Time seems to stand still between that crack and the next burst of light.

“That shadow – did you see that shadow – in the backseat!”  He screams it out as the light comes.  On reaction I spin quickly to explore the rear seats. The back is clean and empty.

“Robert, stop it.  It’s not funny.  There is nothing there.  You are scaring me.”  I wait for a smile, a chuckle, any reaction to show that he is joking around with me.  I do not get the reaction I am waiting for.  He stares blankly at the road ahead of him.  I return my focus to the rearview mirror and wait for lightening to show me what Robert is so certain of.  The night sky aluminates. For a split moment of light, a set of eyes stared back at me from the backseat.  I siun around to confront emptiness.

“SEE!  I know you saw!”

“I don’t know what I saw…”  Robert had freaked me out and my mind is playing tricks on me.

I stare back at my frantic boyfriend, “It’s late.  I need to get to bed.” 

The rest of the car ride remains in silence.