Chapter 24 - Moving On

Chapter 24

            Rain therapy no longer had the same meaning it once had, so much had changed in such a short time and rain brought back memories of that night.  There was once a time when I would lay in bed and listen as the rain hit my window, as it tried to sneak its way into the warmth of the indoors.  The soothing effect that it once held over me no longer existed; I now sleep through the rainy days, only to avoid my own thoughts. 

            Today as I pack up my desk, it rained.  The water thrust itself up against the windows to the extent that you could not see a clear image looking out.  The only consolation I have is that I am inside and it is not.

“We are gonna miss ya,” an attempt at a smile crossed Ken’s lips.  I smiled at him, “how could you not?”

His disappointment was stretched throughout his entire body.  “Listen,” I start off, “I know you are going to miss me, and I am going to miss this.”  I spread my arms out and motion to the entire office.  “But I need this.  There are too many bad memories here for me, I need to get out, otherwise this city will eat me alive.”

“But I thought you said that nothing ever happened here?  That it is a boring little town where nothing exciting ever happens and nothing to do.”

“That’s because nothing ever happened to me…And now that it has, it’s a little too much…I don’t know, I have to get away from all the ‘excitement’”.

            I had always thought of this place as being one of the most boring places to live in, there is not much of a night life, or social events, or cultural events.  It’s is a mining town full of blue collar workers and government jobs, if you were lucky enough to find one.  But now it is a place of secret lives and haunted memories.  Every where I looked reminded me of Kay, and there are moments when I can still feel her pulling me.  The moments had grown less and less, however they were none the less still hard to grasp.  There is a great possibility that even if I did move that these moments would still continue to happen, but at least there would be no lingering familiarity that would trigger something to cause me to second guess my emotions and feelings.

            “Well, there will always be something here for you, if you change your mind.”

“Well the best thing you can do for me right now is promise to give me a great reference.”

“Well…It won’t be that great, I just don’t have it in me to lie.”  This time a smile did cross his lips and I gave him a hug good bye.

“Do you need a hand with that box?”  It was a tiny box that was half empty, the majority of my things I left behind for the kid replacing me.  They would be of more use to him and I wanted to start fresh.  “I think I can manage.”  I said good bye to the rest of my co-workers and made my way out the office door.

            My bags were already packed and in the car, this was my last stop on the way out.  My parents would ship me the rest, I did not care at what cost. 

            I know that it may seem as if I am running away from my demons.  I just faced the reality that my new boyfriend had killed my best friend, I had moved back into my parents basement, and now quit my over-so-conveniently-perfect job to run away towards nothing.  However, with the last four months that I had just recently faced, I do not see this as running away.  I see this as walking away from a city where too much excitement was beginning to swallow me whole and suck me dry.  I am leaving  a place that had suddenly become very dark and somber.

            It is sometimes the little cities, where everyone seems to know everyone’s business, that has a lot more hidden.  In such circumstances, it is best to leave it that way.