Chapter 19 - Another Dream

Chapter 19: Another Dream

            I was back in the car.  This time I was sitting in the front seat and Robert is sitting next to me yelling.  It was like jumping into a movie midway, the only benefit is that I already knew what had happened to get to this escalation. 

            It is a weird sensation to be in a dream and to know you are dreaming, however the third time sitting through the experience I no longer held fear but rather a sense of wonder.  I wanted to remember all the small details that I had not focused prior.  I looked past Robert and out at the field that we were sitting in.  The headlights are lighting up the way in front of the car.  I can see tall buildings ahead , small squares represent the windows.  They are either apartment buildings or commercial, I cannot tell.  There are no trees to the front of us, looking out the passenger window I see rows of trees rising behind Robert’s head.  There are no buildings to be seen behind them.  There are no buildings to be seen behind the car either, just trees in the empty dark.  A bit ahead the road can be seen, maybe a few miles.  There is no road leading into the field that we are in, the car rests on grass and long blades swarm the car.  It is windy outside and there is rain falling making the grass sway violently trying to swallow the car up whole.  The surroundings told me very little of where I could possibly be.  It could have been anywhere.

            The car itself is another matter, it felt familiar somehow.  I could see through the glowing of the headlights that the hood of the car was red, a bright fiery red.  The paint seemed new, there was no rust or blemishes or dents on the front of the car.  From the rear-view mirror there hung a strand of plastic beads.  The beads were almost white, only a little creamier.  They were strung by a thick white string.  It swayed ever so gently as the car sat still.

            I absorbed all this in seconds and attempted to imprint it in my memory.  Robert was still yelling, his voice rose as I seemed to be spurring him onward.

            His hands grasps at my neck and I fight back.  His hair is styled nicely falling from the front to the back of his head.  A few blonde curls tumbled forward into his face.   The veins in his forehead bulge and run their way down his neck and disappear underneath the collar of his shirt.  He is not wearing his jacket and there is not one in the backseat, it is mild outside.  I fight free from his grasp, my hand fumbles on the wet door handle and I fall onto the wet ground.  The grass slashes at my face, the fresh cool air hits my body.  I could smell the trees and the grass all around me as I gulp for air and manage to crawl away from the side of the vehicle, my strength fading.  I push on. 

            Out of the dark Robert wraps his hands around my neck.  I am laying on the ground.  My hair wet and matted against my neck.  I could barely see his face, red with water dripping and sticking his hair to the sides of his face.  He did not brush it away, he is intent on his task. The dark mats of hair wrapped themselves around my neck and tangled itself with his hands.  He was talking to me but I could not make out his words.  They were muffled through the rain and the wind.  My breathes grow shallow and my vision blurs.  I begin to slip away into the darkness.

            I come back to the light.  The sunlight streamed across my face through the small window that peered out at my parent’s driveway.  The day was young and I lay in my bed coughing for air.

            “Alright Fiona what brings you here today?”

The cold metal of the doctor’s bed sends shivers through my body.  My doctor smiles at me when she comes through the door and pauses waiting for my response.

“Well, I have been having a really hard time sleeping lately. It is really affecting my focus and concentration, my work is suffering and I don’t really know what it can be.  I have tried sleeping on the couch and my bed, staying up later until I fall asleep, but I always have these dreams and I only get about an hour of sleep a night.”

“Well we can send you to a sleep clinic to see what is going and then take it from there when I get the results.”

She starts shuffling through the paper work she is holding in her file folder. 

“How do you feel about sleeping pills?  I really don’t want to go to a clinic, I’m not very comfortable with that.”

She stops shuffling, “well Fiona I am not a fan of sleeping pills.  A lot of people end up getting addicted where they start needing them to just sleep, and they may leave you drowsy for a while afterwards.”

“So you don’t recommend it then?”

“No I don’t.”

“Well thank you, I think I will try to just see how things for the rest of this week and if I keep having a problem I will let you know and then we can talk about the sleep clinic thing.”

I left her office and I decided that I would pick up a bottle of pills just in case I needed them.     

I arrive at work, I only ended up being an hour late for my shift which means it did not cut into my sick time too much. 

“Morning Ken,” I announce as I walked through the front door and plopped myself down at my desk.  I turned on my computer to find that I had seventeen unread emails that had accumulated over the weekend.

“Morning,” Ken’s arm peered over the top of his computer screen in a weak wave.  His face was glued to his computer as he melted into work.

            Monday always feels like the longest day of the week, it is the furthest from the weekend and freedom had just passed by with Sunday.  As the minutes tick away on the clock I anxiously await the end of the day.  Liz was picking me up from work and we were going to go shopping and then to the movies.  We had agreed to watch one of those sappy chick flicks as both Robert and her boyfriend were busy.  It would be a girls night, and catch up as we both had very busy schedules.

            The last minute ticked away and I grabbed my jacket for the door.  Just as she had promised Liz was waiting for me at the front door in her cute little purple car.  We went to the shopping mall and hit our favourite stores until we are too tired to continue.  My arms are sore from carrying bags and my feet are sore from the miles of shopping coverage we had done.  We both let our bodies sag down into the seats of the car.

“Hey, do you want to just rent a movie?”  Her suggestion was ingenious and much appreciated.  We ended up picking up two movies which we had been wanting to watch and a big bag of gummy candy with a side of chocolate.  We pulled out the sofa bed and lay with a pile of blankets and pillows watching movies until we fell asleep.

            I could hear the buzzing of my alarm clock from the next room.  How long had it been going off?  I picked myself off the couch and throw an outfit together in fifteen minutes and hurry myself out the door. 

            The days would fly by between work and spending time with Liz at night, she was filling that void Kay had left.  When I had moved away to go to University, my relationship with my sister was not strong, she was still in high school and after 17 years being under the same roof as me the screaming matches were beginning to drive our parents crazy.  One fight in particular with Liz left me with less hair.  Now as adults we were able to relate to each other on a different level; a refreshing change.  She also helped to keep my mind off Robert, who had been more the odd lately; at least the sleeping pills had cut out the dreams.  A week of dreamless nights and I counted myself in the clear.  I was nearing the end of my supply and I had promised myself that I would stop taking them after my last pill, I did not want to be an addict.