4.

CHAPTER FOUR | FRIENDS AGAIN
***

The next day when I entered the school building, it was like a shadow was following me around. Glares and sneers were sent my way. What did I do now?
   “Word’s gone around that you knew you were going to tutor Aaron and Matt,” Daphne told me when I asked her the same question. “She even said ‘Hashtag Desperate’.”
   I knew very well who the ‘she’ was. Why Catherine always tortured me, I’d never know. Truth be told, if Ms. Hubert had informed me who my students would be earlier, I would’ve rejected her offer. I really thought it would be awkward to meet two people, who you haven’t talked to for five years, everyday after school. But now, after yesterday and Mathew’s note, it might not be such a bad idea.
   “Hello?” Daphne was waving her hands in my face. “Hello? Earth to Mrs. Smith?”
   I scowled. “Don’t call me that!” Still, I was blushing.
   Daphne wiggled her eyebrows at me, pulling my red cheeks.
   “Aw,” she coed. “You’re blushing.”
   I slapped her hand away and grabbed my books from my locker.
   “Shut up,” I muttered.
   We headed for our Literature class and I was surprised to find it almost empty. My eyes drifted to the clock. Oh. It was eight-fifteen, which meant that there was another ten minutes left.
   “Smith alert,” Daphne whispered.
   I frowned. “What?” But, my question was answered when my eyes drifted to meet a pair of grey ones. “Oh.”
   Mathew smirked at me and held up one finger, then eight. I scowled and stuck my tongue out at him. Jerk. His smirk only widened. I glared at him before turning back to a gaping Daphne.
   “Did I miss something?” she squeaked.
   I shook my head, aware that Mathew’s stare was burning into into the side of my skull. I could almost feel his smirk. I turned back to him angrily and mouthed, “What?”
   “You’re blushing,” he mouthed back, pointing at my face.
   Sure enough, when I put a hand to my cheeks, they were burning hot. I immediately looked away. Shit.
   “You know,” Daphne whispered as we sat at a desk, “I really think that you guys can become what you used to be. I mean, they seem to be trying, right?”
   “If you mean trying to annoy the hell out of me, then yes, I agree,” I hissed.
   She rolled her eyes. “Oh, come on, Tessa. Is it really that bad to make new friends — or at least try?”
   I paused for a moment. She was right, to he honest. I really wanted us to be friends again. But, with a bitch like Catherine always flitting around them, that would never happen.
   “It’s not that easy,” I said. “I mean, Catherine’s stuck to them like a leech.”
   “And you guy still had a couple of interactions,” she pointed out.
   I sighed. Looking away from her, I stole a glance at Mathew. He was talking to Catherine. Ugh. I made to look away, but something interested me. Catherine was leaning in front of him and talking while he sat back, looking extremely bored. To say I was relieved is an understatement.
   Mathew folded his arms behind his head and his eyes trailed around the classroom, like he was looking for somebody. They stopped on me. A ghost smile flickered across his lips when he caught me looking back. I bit back a smile.
   “Settle down, everyone,” Mrs. Walker yelled over the chatter as the bell rang.
   I quickly looked away, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach.
   I couldn’t concentrate for the rest of the morning.
   During Literature, Mathew kept sending me smirks — the smile was never seen. He even wrote ‘18/05/2017’ on a slip of paper and waved it around when the teacher wasn’t looking.
   My second class was Math. Aaron was as obvious as Mathew. He acted drunk and puckered his lips every once in a while, recreating my idea of Juliet that day. I swear, I felt like strangling them. But, still, the butterflies were there.
   After that, I had two classes without them. The slot before lunch was filled with a free period; our P.E. teacher was absent. As always, I hurried into the library. The cheerleading squad took advantage of the time for practice, and since Daphne was a part of it, she was out on the fields in her uniform.
   I settled into the chair with a book in my hands — I wasn’t taking any chances. I read twelve pages when I realized I wasn’t alone. Putting the book down, I looked around and two pairs of grey eyes came into my line of vision.
   “Where’s Cathy?” Aaron asked, leaning against a bookshelf. It was far enough for me to be hidden, but close enough for me to see them.
   Mathew was standing in front of him, rolling his eyes. “She said she needed to reapply her makeup. I don’t get why, though. It’ll just be smeared away by you.”
   “Shut up,” Aaron muttered. “I don’t always make out with her.”
   “You keep telling yourself that,” Mathew sneered. His expression turned serious. “Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask you...Do you seriously like her?”
   “Who, Cathy?” Aaron looked nervous. “Um, somebody could hear us.”
   “Tessa is all the way back there,” Mathew assured, pointing to where I sat the day before.
   I was interested now, and suddenly grateful for sitting somewhere different. Aaron looked relieved.
   “If you say so,” he mumbled.
   Mathew raised his eyebrows. “So?”
   “No,” Aaron admitted silently. “I don’t actually like Cathy in the way it seems like. Yeah, she’s hot. Nothing else, really. It’s infatuation, I guess. But, if me being her boyfriend could keep her from harming Tessa beyond her limits, then I’m all for it.”
   Mathew smirked. “I knew it. Dude, that is so cute, by the way.”
   “You sound like a girl,” Aaron retorted, but he was blushing.
   I looked back at my book, the butterflies replaced by swooping bats. A pink blush dusted my cheeks. So, they did still care about me.
   “Baby,” Catherine’s voice cooed and her arms were thrown around Aaron’s neck.
   Aaron smiled. “Hey, Cathy.”
   She pecked his lips. “So, what do you say we have a coffee after school? We can plan my birthday party there.”
   I nearly gagged. She was planning her own birthday party? Weren’t they supposed to be a surprise or something?
   “Sorry, babe,” Aaron mumbled. “I got my French tutoring today. How about Saturday?”
   “With Tessa, you mean,” she spat. “Why ditch me for her?”
   “She’s getting paid for this,” he reminded. “I’d rather let her keep the job than lose it because of me.”
   She looked shocked. “I can’t believe you!” And she stormed away.
   Mathew let his laughter take over when she was out of sight. He held onto Aaron’s shoulder for support.
   “Real smooth,” he sniggered.
   Aaron rolled his eyes. “Oh, shut up.”
   I exited the library, making sure to stay out of their radar.
   They really do still care about me.